Makemkv creates two subs

Everything related to MakeMKV
Toby2k

Makemkv creates two subs

Post by Toby2k »

Hi,

If i use makemkv, no matter which bluray i take, the program creates two sub Tracks. The First Contains the regular subs and the Second sub Track Contains the forced ones. But what can i do, to get only one Track with forced subs?

On the Original Movie there is only one sub track, which Contains both, regular and forced one.
Sry for my Bad englisch
Woodstock

Re: Makemkv creates two subs

Post by Woodstock »

Without seeing logs, it is hard to say what option the bluray authors took on your disk. And what you see when you look in the setup menu is not necessarily the truth of the matter.

The most common setup I've encountered for subtitles (bluray or DVD) is 2 tracks for each language. One contains all subtitles, the other contains just the forced subtitles. The menu will likely only show the full subtitle track - the forced subtitle track is automatically displayed, even if you do not think subtitles are being displayed.

By default, MakeMKV will read each subtitle track and put them into the MKV file. It will also search each track for subtitles that are FLAGGED as "forced", and copy them to a track that is "forced only". If that "forced only" track is empty after the title is ripped, which is usually the case, it will be deleted.

When ripping a bluray, I will typically have 4 English tracks being generated, even though only 2 Engish tracks are present. At the end, 2 of them are removed.
Toby2k

Post by Toby2k »

Where can i find the log file?
What Happens if the Bluray Contains the Forced Subs in the Full sub stream. Then i Take only the Option "only Forced", not the Option at the bottom.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have not done so already, you need to turn on "debug logging". It's explained in the FAQ link in my signature.

If it is not turned on, what you see in the lower window is all there is, and a lot of stuff is not shown there if debugging is turned off.