Windows 10 TP with makemkv problems

Everything related to MakeMKV
bubbabird

Windows 10 TP with makemkv problems

Post by bubbabird »

Hey all,

I have been using MakeMKV for several years and never had a problem that the forums here have not already had a solution that worked. You all are great!

Now for my issue. I have been running Windows 10 Tech preview since about January. I have not had any issues until the most recent build 10122 (Fresh Clean install). Even then I had no issues until last week. Here is where I haven't been able able to resolve my problem with ideas I have found in the forums so far. I have both a DVD drive and a Bluray reader drive in my computer. I have tried running MakeMKV 1.87, 1.90, 1.92 all give the same issues. Both drives are Region 1. Installing AnyDVD trial only relieves the protection error below. I'm not sure about installing firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org.

CDROMHL-DT-ST_BDDVDRW_UH12LS29 <-- Bluyray Drive
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12LS29
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K9IC4DE2805
Firmware date: 2011-08-09 12:34:56
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 46
CDROMTSSTCORP_DVD+-RW_TS-H653G <-- DVD Drive
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Product: DVD+-RW TS-H653G
Revision: DW30
Serial number: R4606GFZ346099

I am unable to convert any DVD period using either drive. I'm getting the following
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.,
IFO file for VTS #1 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned.,
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (112)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_T1.VOB' at offset.,
Drive DVD+R-DL TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G DW30 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed.,
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - AUTHENTICATION FAILURE' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..00CC3000A0..0270..0020..0 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'

DVDs, both Brand new(old TV shows, boxset dated 2011) discs and discs I have previously backed up(adding dvd extras to my collection). The discs are clean, just removed from the shrink wrap

The only way I'm getting the discs to read in any form is to run Power DVD 14 and start the disc playing. Sometimes this will allow the disc to be read and add the titles to to allow them to be saved off the disc. Yet even if I get this far I get AV sync errors sometimes and if it does save I get good picture with no audio or audio only within some chapters, no matter what player I use.

Now, I'm sure its something on this computer as I have a Asus Bluray usb drive that when plugged into the same computer it give the same issues with any disc. However when I plug it into an Win 8 laptop with MakeMKV 1.90, I have no issues at all. Also this discs have no issue playing on any device or program in my house.

Any ideas or is a new Clean install in my future?

Also: Bruce Almighty -- This disc uses newer version of AACS protection. Please let us know about it by visiting /a/?+vr6+vqNKTs2K3...
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12LS29
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K9IC4DE2805
Firmware date: 2011-08-09 12:34:56
Bus encryption flags: 1F

Disc Information
Label: BRUCE_ALMIGHTY
Timestamp: 2009-03-12 16:47:02
Data capacity: 23.17 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 1
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

Bruce Almighty worked on the third try no problem.
character82

Re: Windows 10 TP with makemkv problems

Post by character82 »

I just reverted back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 Build 10130 solely because of makemkv

I had the same problem, but totally different errors.

Couldn't get any BluRay to Rip and constantly got errors that were never consistent.

I even tried copying the disk with ADVDHD and then running it through MakeMKV

Reverted back to Windows 9.1 and everything is fine again.

I really hope this gets resolved before their big launch on 7/29. The free upgrade will start rolling out to all their users on that day and I'm sure a lot of the customers on this forum are getting a free update
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The last beta of Win10 was reported here as having a problem with key exchanges. Reverting back to the previous build worked for the person who brought it up.

The more people who report the issue to Microsoft, the better chance they'll fix what they broke, but... given that they're planning on releasing to manufacturing shortly, it's most likely going to have to wait for a patch.
character82

Post by character82 »

Woodstock wrote: The more people who report the issue to Microsoft, the better chance they'll fix what they broke, but... given that they're planning on releasing to manufacturing shortly, it's most likely going to have to wait for a patch.
1. How do we know this is MSFT's problem to fix?
2. What exactly are we asking them to fix?

"Dear Microsoft, MakeMKV doesn't work on Windows10" doesn't help anyone

Do we have an official request from the MakeMKV Dev team that we can send to MSFT?

The MaleMKV team should be testing with 10 and seeing if/what is broke, telling MSFT about the problem and then we all amplify that request
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

How is it a Microsoft problem? Simple - Because they're using thousands of people to do program compatibility testing, and something they changed between builds broke compatibilty. They either need to fix it, or justify why they broke it - sometimes, breaking things is the RIGHT THING TO DO.

If MakeMKV is at fault, then what will fix it? If it's a "oops" on Microsoft's part, it's among the thousands of bugs that need to be addressed.

MakeMKV is freely available for Microsoft to test with, so reports can possibly stimulate them to test it. They have wonderful debugging tools available to them to show just where things go wrong, if they are convinced to look.

I have no clue what Mike's policy is, but the company I work for does not guarantee compatibility with beta software, because we aren't going to certify something as working if there's no way to know if it will be working with the next build.

The previous report of a problem:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9184
bubbabird

Post by bubbabird »

I guess I was mostly just hoping to spark a conversation. I don't Think Microsoft is at fault here in anyway. Microsoft is just making a product. I they brake a piece of software meant to **BRAKE** into a DVD or Blu-ray, so be it. I would assume it would be up to the maker of said software to adjust his software accordingly if he feels it is necessary. If I need to leave one of my Laptops on 8.1 till makemkv is updated/corrected to work with the Gold Master of Win 10, I will. I really wanted to see if I was alone with my issue or if other were having the problems as well.

Let not blame anyone, nor expect Microsoft to fix a issue with a program {that converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files} (from makmkv's home page. Remember this software is not used mostly for the dvd of videos I made form my vacation.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

But, if the Windows build is blocking AACS key exchanges, then it also breaks "regular" BD player software, like PowerDVD.

I would think that is a significant problem. But, since PowerDVD support isn't done here, we would not see it.
bubbabird

Post by bubbabird »

Woodstock wrote:But, if the Windows build is blocking AACS key exchanges, then it also breaks "regular" BD player software, like PowerDVD.

I would think that is a significant problem. But, since PowerDVD support isn't done here, we would not see it.
Here in lies my reasoning. On Win 10 TP build 10122 after clean install PowerDVD 14 works perfectly well. For that matter MakeMKV is only able to do something(not completely mind you) as long as PowerDVD or VLC on running the disk.

This makes me (<----- not Windows or computer expert) think that there in a peice of code in MakeMKV that is not handing off something correctly that PowerDVD or VLC is doing.

Just my observation.
fargofallout

Post by fargofallout »

Not that it helps anyone, but I'm having the same problem - I never had any issues with MakeMKV, and now after updating to the latest version of Windows 10 (10130), MakeMKV crashes on the decrypting stage. I've tried a few different Blu Rays - all of which failed - and also installed the trial version of DVDFab, which worked fine.
TechLife

Post by TechLife »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. VLC and CloneDVD work fine. In three days, I have managed to rip one BD and one DVD. The BD seemed fine, the DVD took almost three hours of the disc randomly speeding up and down but it got there. I have not been able to get another one to go no matter what I do. I even tried ripping the entire disc to an ISO then using MMKV, no dice. Also tried copying one title to TS files in CloneDVD then trying it. Still nothing but errors. Makes no sense to me so there it is for what it's worth. Sigh...guess it's time to restore my Win7 and hope for a fix by the official release date.
bubbabird

Post by bubbabird »

TechLife wrote:Yeah, I'm in the same boat. VLC and CloneDVD work fine. In three days, I have managed to rip one BD and one DVD. The BD seemed fine, the DVD took almost three hours of the disc randomly speeding up and down but it got there. I have not been able to get another one to go no matter what I do. I even tried ripping the entire disc to an ISO then using MMKV, no dice. Also tried copying one title to TS files in CloneDVD then trying it. Still nothing but errors. Makes no sense to me so there it is for what it's worth. Sigh...guess it's time to restore my Win7 and hope for a fix by the official release date.

I did all those things as well with no dice. I do hope something changes as I do really like Win 10. will be hard to leave a computer on 8.1 soully for the purpose of backing up my dvd's.
character82

Post by character82 »

Has anyone tried any of the latest Windows 10 builds?
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

I have tried, with the same bad results in 10158, 10159 and 10162.
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

This is exactly why I'm not upgrading to Windows 10 any time soon as not all software I use will be compatible when it comes out later this month!

I shall wait until they are compatible with it before I do eventually upgrade, but then again I'm not really that bothered about Windows 10 as I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, and to be honest it doesn't look like there's much difference between them!

You're bringing these compatiblity issues on yourselves by using preview builds of Windows 10 with software that is optimised for Windows 7, just wait until the public release before you start complaining!

Mike should really post in this thread to say whether or not he plans to add support for Windows 10 to MakeMKV!
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

Ant93 wrote:You're bringing these compatiblity issues on yourselves by using preview builds of Windows 10 with software that is optimised for Windows 7, just wait until the public release before you start complaining!
I don't think anybody is actually complaining. Seems like this thread is more about gathering information what is going on with MakeMKV and Windows 10. I don't mind breaking things by using unfinished software. I know what I'm getting myself into but I like taking a look at future technology and do my (small) part in developing it by providing feedback.

Mike will have to add support for Windows 10 sooner or later since it will become the dominant OS. I predict a very fast growth in market share simply due to the fact that it is free in the first year after release - and people love free stuff, even if they don't know what to do with it.

Oh, and to say that there's not much of a difference between Windows 7 and 10 is almost an insult to the developers of those operating systems :). But that's a different topic...