Does make MKV utilize quad cores?

Everything related to MakeMKV
uslaves

Does make MKV utilize quad cores?

Post by uslaves »

i take it that make mkv does not take advantage of multiple cores? i had a e5300 (old duo) processor and then just upgraded to a quad core 9650 (fasted quad available) and there was no change in conversion speed. checked the core usage and all 4 were all running about 20-30%.

I'm converting ripped blu rays that are on my harddrive, not reading from disk.

btw, this is a great little program. i would buy for certain if i could get it to rip from my blu ray drive (have another thread on that) and if it could use quad cores that would be icing on the cake.

thanks
subslug

Re: Does make MKV utilize quad cores?

Post by subslug »

MakeMKV doesn't do anything that would utilize Quad Core support. Everything it does simply relies on your drive or disc read/write speeds.

There's no encoding happening.
I can copy an 8Gb iso file to MKV in less than a minute on MakeMKV. Fast enough for me. :)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is not exactly true. MakeMKV decrypts data, applies BD+ FUTs and repacks video/audio to MKV - all of it is a lightweight reencoding. MakeMKV uses multiple cores and works much better on 2 cores then on one, but anything above will not change things much.
uslaves

Post by uslaves »

makes sense mike. i think my bottleneck is the disk drive. i can speed it up a bit if i transfer between 2 different disk (read from one and write to the other rather than reading and writing to the same drive). it reads at about 80MB/s which is not fantastic but not too bad i think.

are you really getting 8 gig conversion in less than 60 sec? that is a transfer rate over 133MB/s which sounds amazing. are you reading to one drive writing to another, or using the same drive to read and write? also, what type of drive to you have - got to get me one of those
GoColts

Post by GoColts »

great 2 hear, i have a Q6600 Quad Core & its good to hear this info!
ELVISPOPCORN

Post by ELVISPOPCORN »

GoColts wrote:great 2 hear, i have a Q6600 Quad Core & its good to hear this info!
Heck, I wish I had a Quad freakin' core! :)