Conversion to FLAC

Everything related to MakeMKV
jamar.el

Conversion to FLAC

Post by jamar.el »

Hello. Sorry if this is an extremely dumb question and/or has already been posted but I just need clarification/confirmation of something regarding FLAC conversion. I use OSX which has issues when it comes to DTS-HD/TrueHD codec support. So I convert to FLAC using the advanced settings. Am I correct in saying that because they are all lossless codecs, the MKV file output with FLAC will be identical to the Blu-Ray with DTS-HD or TrueHD, both aurally and visually? I realise its probably dumb but I just have little idea with a lot of the technical stuff involved and just need a straight up answer before I get to far into everything and find out I am doing it all wrong. Thank you kindly.
tommyla

Re: Conversion to FLAC

Post by tommyla »

jamar.el wrote:Hello. Sorry if this is an extremely dumb question and/or has already been posted but I just need clarification/confirmation of something regarding FLAC conversion. I use OSX which has issues when it comes to DTS-HD/TrueHD codec support. So I convert to FLAC using the advanced settings. Am I correct in saying that because they are all lossless codecs, the MKV file output with FLAC will be identical to the Blu-Ray with DTS-HD or TrueHD, both aurally and visually? I realise its probably dumb but I just have little idea with a lot of the technical stuff involved and just need a straight up answer before I get to far into everything and find out I am doing it all wrong. Thank you kindly.
yes its identical, everything that goes into a FLAC stream is the same as the source*
* it all depends on the source, if the sauce is lossless, then the flac stream in a mkv container will also be
you can think of flac as a zip for lossless audio, it just compresses, it does not trow away stuff

hope this helps
jamar.el

Re: Conversion to FLAC

Post by jamar.el »

tommyla wrote: yes its identical, everything that goes into a FLAC stream is the same as the source*
* it all depends on the source, if the sauce is lossless, then the flac stream in a mkv container will also be
you can think of flac as a zip for lossless audio, it just compresses, it does not trow away stuff

hope this helps
Thanks heaps for that. I really appreciate it.