Help producing files for PS3 (no sound with DD)

Everything related to MakeMKV
Capt_Blackadder

Help producing files for PS3 (no sound with DD)

Post by Capt_Blackadder »

Hi,

First I must congratulate the makes of this software, it's superb and I will be a patron as soon as it is fully released.

My plea for help is regarding processing the mkv files through Handbrake for playing on PS3. I know this forum isn't the right place to post the question, but I'm sure I'm not the only person converting Blu-rays to play on a PS3 with makemkv.

I have tried a number of options to get surround sound working on the PS3. I choose 'High Profile' preset with Handbrake, same resolution, and AC3 passthrough for the soundtrack. When finished I get sound on the iMac, and Quicktime tells me I have 5:1 channels, but it is not playing through my receiver (optical output PS3 > Sony Receiver) All other DVDs, Blu-rays and downloaded MKVs i play work. Strangely if I fast-forward scan at x1.5 on the PS3 I get sound! But no sound played at normal speed?

I have also tried AAC audio (6 channel discrete), but again only sound when x1.5 fast-forwarding?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Capt_Blackadder

Re: Help producing files for PS3 (no sound with DD)

I think I've sorted it!

I read some posts on the videohelp.com forums stating Dolby Digital wasn't supported in a MP4 container? So I re-encoded my original MKV file that Makemkv produced in Handbrake with AC3 passthrough but as another MKV instead of an MP4. I set the output size to 7800Mb to fit a DL DVD. Then used TSmuxeR to convert the second file to a .MSTS file that my PS3 plays, and my receiver recognises as Dolby Digital.

If this is a long-winded method and you know a better more efficient way of getting the same results - please tell me.

Thanks

Bill
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

It would be much simpler to just load your MKV into "multiAVCHD"...
Capt_Blackadder

Hi, will that reduce the file size to fit DL DVD, or just change the container?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi, will that reduce the file size to fit DL DVD
Yes it will...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

why would you reduce and burn for PS3 playback? PS3 can play AVCHD from any USB media.