No Video but Audio?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ladysman

No Video but Audio?

Post by ladysman »

Hi. New here but just received my first blu ray set and burner for xmas. I'm having a problem.

What I want to do is convert the episodes from Planet Earth complete series to my appleTV. MakeMKV seems to work fine, however, when I open the MKV files in the latest VLC Media player, I get audio but no video. Also, Handbrake craps out as well.

I'm on W7 64 bit edition. No idea what the problem is.

Thanks for the help!
setarip_old

Re: No Video but Audio?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

1) In VLC, have you clicked on the "Video" dropdown menu to see what options are available for video display?

2) Have you tried playing the MKVs in the standard Windows Media Player?
ladysman

Post by ladysman »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

1) In VLC, have you clicked on the "Video" dropdown menu to see what options are available for video display?

2) Have you tried playing the MKVs in the standard Windows Media Player?

WMP won't play them either but it can't play MKV anyway.

I ripped first with AnyDVDHD this time then used MakeMKV and it still doesn't work.

Handbrake also crapped out again on these files after ripping first. i'm lost at this point.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Again:

BTW, what version of Windows Media Player do you have? I've been able to play .MKVs in WMP since v.9...

I'm on W7 64 bit edition.
Sorry, I just noticed you're using Windows 7. Considering its recent release (in its final form), I gues anomalies are still quite possible...
Last edited by setarip_old on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladysman

Post by ladysman »

setarip_old wrote:Again:
sorry forgot that part. Only item I have available is "Video Track" with "Disable" and "track1". Track 1 was selected. No video.
gauges

Post by gauges »

I have the same problem with the current version of MakeMKV, I'm on Win7 x64 as well. Previous versions I had no problem playing files in VLC, I'm guessing it's the HD Audio but can't be sure as I haven't ripped a disk yet without checking the HD box but switching audio tracks in VLC has no effect on video. The files work great on MPC HC though. They work fine in Windows Media player as well if I use the regular audio track and not the HD audio one. Using the HD audio track in WMP makes the video go in fast forward.
neovo-88

Post by neovo-88 »

Im having the same problem with the film "the hangover blu ray"

I get a MKV file but it just plays the audio only No video. Is it just the film causing the problem as i've successfully ripped other films?
2002tii

Post by 2002tii »

Last edited by 2002tii on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
2002tii

Post by 2002tii »

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@ladysman

Are you able to play the original BluRay disc on your PC, using PowerDVD or similar?
ladysman

Post by ladysman »

setarip_old wrote:@ladysman

Are you able to play the original BluRay disc on your PC, using PowerDVD or similar?
Yep

Figured it out on my side. I ripped via ANYDVD HD then just encoded with an SVN via handbrake Everything is fine without MakeMKV.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Just curious as to which set you have - Is the voiceover by David Attenborough or Sigourney Weaver>
2002tii

Post by 2002tii »

ladysman

Post by ladysman »

setarip_old wrote:Just curious as to which set you have - Is the voiceover by David Attenborough or Sigourney Weaver>
David Attenborough one.

I was able to get this to work but only after I stopped using MakeMKV for this one and used anydvdhd to rip then I encoded with an SVN of handbrake. (version 3036)
jimmyjoe

Post by jimmyjoe »

I have the same problem with The Dark Knight bluray.... MakeMKV rips fine but VLC has audio only, no video. I see track 1 in the video drop-down, but no video plays in VLC.