Why does Makemkv choose the title ordering it does?

Everything related to MakeMKV
YukiNagato

Why does Makemkv choose the title ordering it does?

Post by YukiNagato »

I've noticed when ripping blu-rays which contain multiple episodes of a show, makemkv will select an "odd" title order. For example, if I rip "Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Complete Collection [Blu-ray] (2012)" disc 1, makemkv will select the following title order:

File 00004.mpls was added as title #0
File 00009.mpls was added as title #1
File 00006.mpls was added as title #2
File 00008.mpls was added as title #3
File 00005.mpls was added as title #4
File 00007.mpls was added as title #5
File 00011.mpls was added as title #6
File 00012.mpls was added as title #7
File 00010.mpls was added as title #8

The correct order to get the titles in episode order is numerical starting at 00004.mpls, i.e.

File 00004.mpls is title #0
File 00005.mpls is title #1
File 00006.mpls is title #2
File 00007.mpls is title #3
File 00008.mpls is title #4
File 00009.mpls is title #5
File 00010.mpls is title #6
File 00011.mpls is title #7
File 00012.mpls is title #8

Needless to day, this is a pain in the buttocks. Is this a bug? A feature? Operator error?

I'm running MakeMKV v1.8.10 linux(x64-release) on Mint 16.

Thanks for any insights.
Yuki
Woodstock

Re: Why does Makemkv choose the title ordering it does?

Post by Woodstock »

There are several requests to "fix" this issue, but it comes down to how the disk is mastered. You would think that the directory of a disk would be sorted... but it isn't necessarily. MakeMKV lists titles by the order it finds them on the disk. And certain vendors (Sentai Filmworks being one) are constant offenders, while others (Funimation) are rare offenders.

If you have Expert mode enabled, which will allow you to set file names and meta data, I find it quickest to scroll through the titles in the left window, and observe the file name in the lower-right information window. If the file name doesn't increase as I move down the list, I get ready to renumber the episodes, using the numbers in the information box to set the order.

As of the last request for this (about 2-3 weeks ago), Mike knows we want it, but there is no schedule for implementing file name sorting. :(
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
YukiNagato

Post by YukiNagato »

Thanks very much for your courteous reply. I searched but I guess I didn't put the right keywords in to find the issue. The information you provided will help me with future discs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No problem on not finding it... This request/bug report has had a LOT of different titles in the last year, so finding it would be difficult in any case.

And you are quite right that it is irritating.... Last night, I discovered that I forgot to re-order the second disk of Campione!, which meant episodes 10, 11, 12, and 13 were numbered 11,13,10,12 when I played them back. And I even had to re-order the first disk, so I should have KNOWN I had to do the second disk too. :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Disk mastering is one of the biggest irritations you can have in ripping discs.

SC
Goodyes

Post by Goodyes »

Thats HORRIBLE
This means i cannot use the command line to extract individual titles, cause HOW TO KNOW What title corresponds to what name / file order as shown say on windows explorer ?

Say I want to makemkvcon mkv disc:2 X
where X correspond to say the biggest title i retrieved to be in the first (1) position, say the title named 00001
So if i put makemkvcon mkv disc:2 1 it should copy the biggest title as retrieved (00001), BUT NO, it will take probably any other say the 00192
If I run makemkvcon mkv disc:2 I get info that tell me that 00192 was added as title number #1 and say 00001 as #2
But it is not possible to automate the process, as the output from command line in in current language !!!, so iget that in Spanish as my computer have spanish language, THIS MEANS If i change my script to say a english computer, they will not work

SO ..H-O-RR-I-B-L-E