video card acceleratoin

Everything related to MakeMKV
foghat

video card acceleratoin

Post by foghat »

Hi, kinda new to all of this. I understand that mkv is the container and that make movie does not change/compress the source bluray video stream.

So, if I have a video card that supports hardware decode acceleration of h.264, VC-1, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, will the mkv files generated by makemkv be hardware accelerated? Guess I don't know, what 'type' of video file the mkv contains.

Thanks.
mike admin

Re: video card acceleratoin

Post by mike admin »

that really depends on a player that you use. some players can use hardware acceleration, some don't.
foghat

Post by foghat »

Right,

If let's assume the player supports it. I guess the question is, if the original bluray, was mpeg-4 (as I believe many/most are), after being put into the mkv container by makemkv would the codec stil be mpeg-4? And if so, I assume my video card (which supports acceleration of H.264, VC-1, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2) would not be able to use hardware decode acceleration. Does this sound right?

I'd test it all out myself, but the bluray player and video card are coming from santa. Just trying to get my ducks in a row in the meantime. thanks.
adrian

Post by adrian »

foghat,

You answered your own question in your original post. MakeMKV does not change the video in any way, it just rips it and puts it into a MKV container.

If the player software is designed to use hardware acceleration it will.