MKV - add subtitles that are not on DVD / BR?

Everything related to MakeMKV
vetting

MKV - add subtitles that are not on DVD / BR?

Post by vetting »

I use MakeMKV to rip BR and DVDs. But I have some DVD / BRs from England without Norwegian subtitle. Is it possible to download Norwegian subs and add them into the mkv filewith a program? If so, which program? Are there any How to on this?

Thank you for any hjelp I get.
ndjamena

Re: MKV - add subtitles that are not on DVD / BR?

Post by ndjamena »

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Subtitles can be downloaded in SRT form from all over the internet, google for them and find a site that suits you. From there you can either add the SRTs to the video with MKVMerge or convert the SRTs to VOBSUB or PGS first using Subtitle Edit or similar programs and then add them.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/subtitle

Additionally, since you're from PAL territory, you may have to convert some of the subs between 23.976 and 25 FPS. To sync the subs with the video play the video file with VLC, load the SRT in the subtitles menu, then use Subtitle Edit (or similar) to mass change the timings. Including the subtitles in the same directory as the video file and giving it the same name will cause VLC to load the subs automatically.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

And curiously enough it will prefer the external sub.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
vetting

Post by vetting »

Just to make sure you guys know, I rip BR/DVD to MKV. They are stored on a NAS and played with a mediaplayer in a home cinema or on a TV in a livingroom over a network.

So if I got this right, I find a webpage with SRT subtiteles, and use mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) to add the subtitle to the MKV-file? And I will be left with only one file, the MKV-file?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Yup, my Eureka DVDs came without Subtitles. I downloaded some from Subtitles Seeker, then used Subtitle Edit to convert them from 23.976 FPS to 25 FPS, add 1 second to all the times so they synced with the video and convert them to VOBSUB. Then I just muxed them in with MKVMerge and viola, anyone would have a hard time telling it apart from a straight DVD rip. Then I used the SRT with MP4Box to make an iPhone version.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

vetting wrote:Just to make sure you guys know, I rip BR/DVD to MKV. They are stored on a NAS and played with a mediaplayer in a home cinema or on a TV in a livingroom over a network.

So if I got this right, I find a webpage with SRT subtiteles, and use mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) to add the subtitle to the MKV-file? And I will be left with only one file, the MKV-file?
You'll have three files. The original file from MakeMKV, the original sub file, and the new file that you made with mkvtoolnix.

SC
sumsungst

Post by sumsungst »

You can use Avdshare Video Converter to Add subtitles, like SRT, ASS, SUB, SSA, IDX to MKV for playing on various MKV devices.