Question about Blu-Rays and Titles

Everything related to MakeMKV
danielspace

Question about Blu-Rays and Titles

Post by danielspace »

I have been using MakeMKV to create .mkv files from some Blu-Ray discs I own. I have an old computer with a Blu-Ray drive installed running Ubuntu 12.04, and have been using the "makemkvcon" program. I use the following options when I rip all my discs to .mkv: "makemkvcon -r mkv disc:0 all ./MOVIE_NAME" which works fine; I get the full movie, or all the episodes if the disc is of a TV show, and a bunch of previews (previews that I delete after its done ripping).

However, Blu-Ray discs are a little odd. I get all the episodes and previews, but I also get another title. As an example, I ripped the TV show Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The first disc, when run with the standard command line options I specified above with MakeMKV v1.8.4, gives me 10 titles/.mkv files.

Code: Select all

total 45G
drwxrwxr-x  2 user user 4.0K Aug 19 12:53 ./
drwxrwxr-x 11 user user 4.0K Aug 20 18:51 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.6G Aug 19 12:13 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t00.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.5G Aug 19 12:18 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t01.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 3.0G Aug 19 12:23 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t02.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.6G Aug 19 12:28 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t03.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.7G Aug 19 12:33 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t04.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.3G Aug 19 12:37 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t05.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.6G Aug 19 12:43 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t06.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.6G Aug 19 12:49 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t07.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user 2.1G Aug 19 12:52 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t08.mkv
-rw-r--r--  1 user user  23G Aug 19 13:40 FMA_Brotherhood_Collection1_D1_t09.mkv
The last title is roughly the same size as all of the previous titles, and its contents is all the other titles con-catted after one another. In addition to TV shows ripping funny, I have a Blu-Ray movie which ripped with two, almost identical titles. They have the same video playback length, but are of slightly different sizes and bitrates. I have an attachment with the output from MediaInfo for all the titles I am talking about, if you are curious at comparing the two movie files.

Does anyone know why MakeMKV is spitting out two seeming identical movie titles, or a title with every previous title con-catted together? Is there anyway I can select/view titles to rip from the "makemkvcon" command so ripping doesn't temporarily take up twice the space? Ripping on my desktop with a GUI is not practical.
Attachments
mediainfo_output.zip
MediaInfo output (html) for the mentioned titles
(9.98 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Smithcraft

Re: Question about Blu-Rays and Titles

Post by Smithcraft »

I would venture to guess that MakeMKV is ripping every program, which includes a "Play All" program which will give you all the main titles together.

As for the two nearly identical titles, that would be it. Something like Disney content, where there are multiple versions of each movie with signs in different languages.

SC
danielspace

Re: Question about Blu-Rays and Titles

Post by danielspace »

Thanks for the reply, Smithcraft!

Your explanation makes perfect sense. I would guess it isn't specific to Blu-Rays, I just never ran into that scenario with a DVD disc. Now, I suppose I ought to look into how to do more with that "makemkvcon" program... I'll create a new topic after I have researched that topic a bit more.