Request subtitle help.

Everything related to MakeMKV
dlyahoo

Request subtitle help.

Post by dlyahoo »

I am having some difficulty transferring subtitles with my process. I have used makemkv to backup DVDs, then converted the file to MP4 using handbrake. The subtitles are always selectable/available and the quality is great. When I try the same process with blu rays however, it's not so easy. I've tried selecting only the main subtitle, the forced subtitle, both, all available subtitles on the blu ray disc, and have yet to be able to select a subtitle to add in handbrake. Any suggestions?? Thanks.
Chetwood

Re: Request subtitle help.

Post by Chetwood »

Have you searched this forum for "handbrake"?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
dlyahoo

Post by dlyahoo »

I have perused a number of posts about subtitles and handbrake. It looks like the blu ray subs are contained in a PGS format and to transfer them a second program is required to convert subs to VOBs, then add the VOBs to the video in handbrake during the conversion to MP4. I was hoping for a simpler (no additional bluray conversion req'd) solution. Like maybe I was just not seeing the correct option to check. Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What version of Handbrake are you using, the release version, or one of the nightly builds?

The nightly builds support burning PGS subtitles into MP4 files, but the release version does not.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dlyahoo

Post by dlyahoo »

HandBrake 0.9.6 standard, no nightly build additions. I'll give that a shot, thanks.
dlyahoo

Post by dlyahoo »

BOOM! Problem solved, thanks again!