How to shrink the mkv files

Everything related to MakeMKV
Bumbes

How to shrink the mkv files

Post by Bumbes »

Hi,

first I must say that the makemkv works fine.
But I'm looking for a tool to make the big mkv files smaller.

Thanks for tips ...
Smithcraft

Re: How to shrink the mkv files

Post by Smithcraft »

Handbrake is popular.

You can also look at the Video Help forums for transcoding, or encoding programs.

SC
Bumbes

Post by Bumbes »

Thanks ! :D
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

An alternative is to use MakeMKV to back up the entire BluRay structure to your HD. Then use BD Rebuilder. I have a 27" crt type HDTV and WD set top box. I find I can get excellent quality with an output file under 5 GB in real time using one pass mode. How long BDRB takes to encode depends on your PC and your quality requirements. For me one pass ABR "good quality" profile looks good on my TV. Also you can set BDRB to output an .mkv file instead of a BluRay disc structure. My WD set top box and play either .m2ts or .mkv. In any case muxing back and forth between container types only takes a few minutes.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I notice the latest release of BD Rebuilder has some PGS subtitle support. I haven't tried it yet. But in the past I had to extract the subs myself using mkvextractGui-2. I'm not sure if it's gotten to the point where an mkv file can be used as input. I thought it was on the ToDo List. I think the author is experimenting with CUDA, which he always said he had no interest in supporting. It may be worth another look to check out the new features of the latest release.

edit: hmm, not sure about .mkv input. I think he wants to start right from the BluRay to avoid unknowns introduced when other software processes the input first. But those interested should check the BDRB forum on Doom 9. It's part of the DVD Rebuilder subforum.