Converting DVD files to MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
Tunetyme

Converting DVD files to MKV

Post by Tunetyme »

I have been ripping my DVD's for a long time. I have hundreds of IFO movies. If I can suggest a few enhancements to converting from existing files.

A batch mode would be great where I could select numerous folders for conversion. With that the MKV file should be placed in the same directory as the IFO and use the folder name as the MKV file name. This should be the default setting. Deleting the other files after it finishes would be a plus as well (this should be optional).

All in all this is a quick conversion. Have you considered adding some compression capability as well?

Tunetyme
setarip_old

Re: Converting DVD files to MKV

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Have you considered adding some compression capability as well?

That would be directly contrary to the stated purpose of MakeMKV (To create an MKV package without altering the original primary streams)...
Tunetyme

Post by Tunetyme »

One can have compression without losing data. A good example is a zip file or for audio flac or APE files. Compression can be loss-less. I am not suggesting an AVI type of compression where data is lost.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

DVD and Blu-ray video are already lossily compressed (MPEG-2, VC-1 or H.264). Lossless compression would make the files larger, not smaller.

Same applies to DVD audio (AC3, DTS). And while Blu-ray audio doesn't always use lossy compression, FLAC isn't always more efficient than DTS-HD or TrueHD - and even when it is, it's not by much compared to the overall size of the MKV file.
Tunetyme

Post by Tunetyme »

I think you misunderstand my question. My point is that compression does not have to be lossy, I used the audio comparison of Flac and APE as examples that are absolutely bit perfect and they can reduce the file size by 40-50%. You can reproduce the original CD from a Flac or APE file. I am only suggesting that it may be feasible with video files as well.

The reason for the question is with the cost of hard drives more than doubling the last couple of months it would be nice to be able to get more on a disc drive.

Tunetyme
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Tunetyme wrote:I think you misunderstand my question. My point is that compression does not have to be lossy, I used the audio comparison of Flac and APE as examples that are absolutely bit perfect and they can reduce the file size by 40-50%. You can reproduce the original CD from a Flac or APE file. I am only suggesting that it may be feasible with video files as well.
You are misunderstanding the answer that Romansh gave. You are correct that compression does not have to be lossy -- IN PARTICULAR, if you are compressing an UNCOMPRESSED source file, it is possible in some cases to compress it in a non-lossy way. CD quality audio is one example.

HOWEVER, the video on a Blu-ray disc IS ALREADY COMPRESSED. Furthermore, that compression is already a lossy form of compression. It is MUCH SMALLER on disc than it would be if it were uncompressed, and it is smaller than it would be if a non-lossy compression method were used instead. In other words, Blu-ray video is ALREADY as small as it can be made, with (subjectively) acceptable loss of quality. It can't be further compressed in a non-lossy way.

The same is true of DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks - they are lossy formats, employing lossy compression. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA are lossless formats which have been losslessly compressed already.

If you wish to reduce file sizes on your hard drives, make use of Handbrake, which is extremely good at reducing file sizes with REASONABLE (i.e., as close to unnoticeable as possible) reduction in picture and/or audio quality. It's adjustable, so you can pick a trade-off between file size and quality.

Dave
Tunetyme

Post by Tunetyme »

Point taken.

The primary request in this thread was regarding a batch mode:

"A batch mode would be great where I could select numerous folders for conversion. With that the MKV file should be placed in the same directory as the IFO and use the folder name as the MKV file name. This should be the default setting. Deleting the other files after it finishes would be a plus as well (this should be optional)."

Is this possible?

Tunetyme
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Tunetyme wrote:The primary request in this thread was regarding a batch mode:
What did your search for 'batch' turn up?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Tunetyme

Post by Tunetyme »

My search did not turn up anything that is useful.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Did you try command-line version, http://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt ?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Tunetyme wrote:My search did not turn up anything that is useful.
Mine turned up BatchMakeMKV and MakeMKV All. I'm also about to finish adapting MultiShrink to MakeMKV but it won't do in your case since I open all discs in advance to make sure what streams to use.

Done: check out MultiMakeMKV.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch