Burn Blu-ray full disc backup on Mac?

Everything related to MakeMKV
DaveQ

Burn Blu-ray full disc backup on Mac?

Post by DaveQ »

Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but all I could find in a search were references to a Windows solution -- none for Mac.

If I use the full disc backup option in makemkv to backup a BD to a directory on my hard drive, how do I subsequently burn a copy to blu-ray media that will work in a standard blu-ray player? I don't want my children and their friends handling original media if I can avoid it. I have found recommendations for IMGBurn to do this, but it isn't available for Mac.

Thanks,
Dave
setarip_old

Re: Burn Blu-ray full disc backup on Mac?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

I'm guessing you didn't search very hard. Click on the following primary link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac%2Bbu ... age=1&rlz=

DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Didn't see your snarky reply previously... I did search quite thoroughly before posting my question. If you don't have a useful answer, posting a link to a Google search is not helpful.

Many of the links turned up in a Google search recommend Toast. However, Toast does not do what I want to do. It won't simply burn a backup of the disc image. Instead, it insists on re-encoding video, and fails to preserve the original BD menu structure. This is NOT a true backup of the original disc. Toast is fine for what it's designed for -- making blu-ray discs from your own home movies that play in a regular blu-ray player. But it doesn't do what I want it to do.

Makemkv seems to be able to make full-disc backup images and store them on my hard drive. What is needed is something that will burn a makemkv full disc backup to a BD-R. NOT something that will insist on re-encoding what it finds, as Toast does.

Imgburn appears able to do this, but is unavailable for Mac.

Now I admit that I might be missing something here. Perhaps there is some way to make Toast do this, or perhaps I missed something in my previous google searches that explains it. If so, please point it out.

Thank you,
Dave
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast ... /copy.html

Copy CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs with one click. Copy Mac OS, Toast, and other disc image formats. Mount disc images directly from Finder.

**Does not rip or copy encrypted or copy protected content.
Of course, you will have first used MakeMKV to make a FULL DISC DECRYPTED backup copy on your hard drive.

Unless there's something I'm missing, the website information seems to indicate that Toast Titanium 11 will do what you are seeking...
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

I have Toast 11 + the HD/BD Plugin.

Video > BDMV Folder (not Blu-ray Video). Creation of a disc image seems to work fine; I've never tried burning it to disc though.

You will of course need dual-layer Blu-ray media to burn a backup.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

setarip_old wrote:

Copy CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs with one click. Copy Mac OS, Toast, and other disc image formats. Mount disc images directly from Finder.
I had seen that link before, but it was not helpful. It explains that discs may be copied, but the accompanying screen shot shows the source file being an actual disc or disc image. What makemkv produces when you use the "full disc backup" option is NOT a disc image (such as an ISO) but a directory and subdirectories containing the contents of the blu-ray disc. It is not possible to specify a directory tree as a source file in Toast when using the "disc copy" option. The "Blu-ray Video" option in Toast seemed to be the only other option, but it insisted on re-encoding video no matter what settings I tweaked. This is why I was stuck and thought it was not possible to use Toast.
Romansh wrote:Video > BDMV Folder (not Blu-ray Video). Creation of a disc image seems to work fine; I've never tried burning it to disc though.
BINGO! This is what I missed before. I don't know why I missed it -- it's the obvious choice and it works perfectly. Thank you!
Only if the disc I'm backing up is a BD50 to start. A surprising number of movies in my collection are on BD25. I'm still waiting for the cost of dual layer BD-Rs to drop to a reasonable price before I start backing up the BD50s to BD-Rs.

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to respond.

Dave
wilberforce55

Post by wilberforce55 »

I hopped on this topic as i have just burnt my first BD-SL using Makemkv.

I ripped (what i though was ) a decrypted back-up, which created three folders (BDMV, Certificate and MAKEMKV) burnt the disc as per Toast's instructions, and created a copy (which comparing the size of the original and the copy was the same

However, when I went to play it in my BD player (samsung) it came up with exactly the same screen saying this Blu Ray Disc is encoded for a A machine, not a B machine.

Does the decrypted back up not strip out the region coding, or have i missed something?

Thanks

DaveQ wrote:
setarip_old wrote:

I had seen that link before, but it was not helpful. It explains that discs may be copied, but the accompanying screen shot shows the source file being an actual disc or disc image. What makemkv produces when you use the "full disc backup" option is NOT a disc image (such as an ISO) but a directory and subdirectories containing the contents of the blu-ray disc. It is not possible to specify a directory tree as a source file in Toast when using the "disc copy" option. The "Blu-ray Video" option in Toast seemed to be the only other option, but it insisted on re-encoding video no matter what settings I tweaked. This is why I was stuck and thought it was not possible to use Toast.
Romansh wrote:Video > BDMV Folder (not Blu-ray Video). Creation of a disc image seems to work fine; I've never tried burning it to disc though.
BINGO! This is what I missed before. I don't know why I missed it -- it's the obvious choice and it works perfectly. Thank you!
Only if the disc I'm backing up is a BD50 to start. A surprising number of movies in my collection are on BD25. I'm still waiting for the cost of dual layer BD-Rs to drop to a reasonable price before I start backing up the BD50s to BD-Rs.

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to respond.

Dave