Playback with OPPO BDP-93 (Subtitles)

Everything related to MakeMKV
rkofcal

Playback with OPPO BDP-93 (Subtitles)

Post by rkofcal »

Hi folks,

I have tried to get Blu-Ray subtitles to appear using makemkv on my BDP-93 player. Using the MAC version 1.6.15 of makemkv, the subtitles are always there (according to the player), and the menu allows me to choose the subtitles, but the actual subtitles never appear. This is the case with several different movies. I tried using the shift property to see if the subtitles were below/above the screen but nothing seems to work. I can select different audio tracks.

So the question is, is the BDP-93 (latest firmware) at fault, is makemkv the issue, or is it the most likely and most often cause ... me?
rkofcal

Re: Playback with OPPO BDP-93 (Subtitles)

Post by rkofcal »

For anyone interested, I have learned a few things about mkv files and subtitles on the BDP-93. First of all, according to the forums and my experience, PGS subtitles are currently only supported in m2ts (mts) files. They will not play in mkv files. So it's the player that is lacking in this case. I did verify that the m2ts files do play, with subtitles, though you loose chapters and other niceties.

A second and extremely annoying artifact of the OPPO player is that it will not reliably play DTSHD (or is it TrueHD). The annoying part, at least from my consistent experience, is that it will play for a few minutes as if everything were fine, then the player hangs. It hangs badly, only a power cycle will allow recovery. This is really bad, it almost suggests that you need to preview much of your movie before declaring it okay for later enjoyment. It wouldn't be so bad if it crashed the player instantly.

Well, hopefully there will be an update sometime that fixes these issues.

As a sidenote, I use a DLNA server for sourcing the movies (over Gigabit ethernet, and the sever easily saturates 1G). The OPPO seems to have problems with bit rates over about 60 Mbps. I'm not sure if that's due to saturation of the OPPO's 10/100 ethernet port or processing power. On the other hand, a state-of-the art Samsung LED TV with DLNA capabilities stutters when playing the native rates of Blu-Ray (which seem to be around 30 Mbps average) ... I have to compress the Blu-Ray bit rate to get smooth playback. In this regard the OPPO is nice as it has never stuttered with native Blu-Ray bit rates.
robneal81

Re: Playback with OPPO BDP-93 (Subtitles)

Post by robneal81 »

rkofcal wrote:For anyone interested, I have learned a few things about mkv files and subtitles on the BDP-93. First of all, according to the forums and my experience, PGS subtitles are currently only supported in m2ts (mts) files. They will not play in mkv files. So it's the player that is lacking in this case. I did verify that the m2ts files do play, with subtitles, though you loose chapters and other niceties.

A second and extremely annoying artifact of the OPPO player is that it will not reliably play DTSHD (or is it TrueHD). The annoying part, at least from my consistent experience, is that it will play for a few minutes as if everything were fine, then the player hangs. It hangs badly, only a power cycle will allow recovery. This is really bad, it almost suggests that you need to preview much of your movie before declaring it okay for later enjoyment. It wouldn't be so bad if it crashed the player instantly.

Well, hopefully there will be an update sometime that fixes these issues.

As a sidenote, I use a DLNA server for sourcing the movies (over Gigabit ethernet, and the sever easily saturates 1G). The OPPO seems to have problems with bit rates over about 60 Mbps. I'm not sure if that's due to saturation of the OPPO's 10/100 ethernet port or processing power. On the other hand, a state-of-the art Samsung LED TV with DLNA capabilities stutters when playing the native rates of Blu-Ray (which seem to be around 30 Mbps average) ... I have to compress the Blu-Ray bit rate to get smooth playback. In this regard the OPPO is nice as it has never stuttered with native Blu-Ray bit rates.
I also have a BDP-93 and you're first two paragraphs are spot-on correct. It's really annoying, but manageable...whenever I have a disc with PGS subtitles or TrueHD audio, I make a "movie-only" .iso of the disc using a different program. It's not the solution I'd like, but it works.

Off topic, I use tversity as a DLNA server for my Oppo and I've never had an issue streaming anything at all, regardless of how big. It's free, so you may want to give that one a try.