[noob] Please make sure I'm doing this right...

Everything related to MakeMKV
TechLife

[noob] Please make sure I'm doing this right...

Post by TechLife »

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before I go too far here...

In this example, if I want to extract just the main movie, lossless audio track and forced english subtitles, is this what I would select??

http://ScrnSht.com/wivnlj

I'm mainly concerned with the forced subs (regardless of whether this movie has them or not). Does the parent item need to be selected or is this OK??

Thanks in advance!!
Romansh

Re: [noob] Please make sure I'm doing this right...

Post by Romansh »

Since there's only one English subtitles track, you should be good to go. MakeMKV will only extract the subtitles which are flagged as forced in that track.

Note that it's not always the case. Forced subtitles can be in their own track, and won't necessarily be flagged as forced (the LOTR EE Blu-rays come to mind). When there are several English tracks, you might be better off selecting all tracks (both forced and non-forced) and deleting those that you don't need afterwards (e.g. using mkvmerge).
TechLife

Post by TechLife »

Thank you for taking the time to check that out for me and the info. =)

I will keep that in mind.
ind74

Post by ind74 »

In the case of forced subtitles in their own track, what is the best way to identify these?

When a Blu-ray player plays the disc, it knows to switch on this separate track automatically. Couldn’t MakeMKV look for this and then identify the whole track as being a forced track, so we know to include it in the MKV output?

I understand something like mkvmerge can be used to delete subtitle tracks afterwards but how do I know what to delete?

Is there any other software which can analyse the Blu-ray disc to point out separate forced subtitle tracks?

Thanks!