MakeMkv and region settings

Everything related to MakeMKV
bwash

MakeMkv and region settings

Post by bwash »

Just got started with MakeMkv (on sd dvd don't have blueray yet) and it is working perfectly. Well done. My question concerns the fact that I have many Region 1 and Region 2 dvds that I want to put on a hard drive to use with my WD Live Plus. When I put a region 2 dvd n my computer drive and used MakeMkv to rip the dvd the region got switched to 2 from 1 in my computer and now I have only 3 switches left.

My question is will MakeMkv prevent my computer switching back to region 1 when I rip a region 1 disk and back to region 2 when I rip a region 2 disk? I will be stuck after 3 more switches so I have stopped for now. Is there a solution or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
SamuriHL

Re: MakeMkv and region settings

Post by SamuriHL »

Converting to MKV removes all notion of a region lock.

EDIT: Hmm, I think I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. I don't think I fully understand. You're saying when you put the discs in it changes the region code? What kind of drive is that? MakeMKV should simply ignore region coding afaik. But it sounds like you got something else going on there entirely.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@bwash

Hi!
When I put a region 2 dvd n my computer drive and used MakeMkv to rip the dvd the region got switched to 2 from 1 in my computer
Are you sure your computer didn't FIRST generate a message ASKING you if you wanted to change the drive's region to match the region of the disc?

If so, try saying "No" and run MakeMKV...
bwash

Post by bwash »

I did not get any prompts from the operating system. Windows 7 system was always Region 1 since I purchased it. I installed MakeMkv, ran the program and used file open within MakeMkv to load dvd then after ripping I went into properties for dvd drive (right click on drive) and it was set to Region 2 and showed I have 3 more changes.

Right now it is still on Region 2 so if I put a Region 1 disk in the the drive it will switch to region 1 and then I will have 2 changes left.

Since I am new to this program I am wondering if, yes MakeMkv removes the region setting as it rips but does it keep my system from changing it as the dvd gets loaded??
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's a very interesting question. I wouldn't have run into that because I use another method for protection removal including region coding. I wouldn't think that MakeMKV would need to change the region of the drive to rip a disc, though. That seems odd. I ask what drive you have simply because there may be a region free firmware for it that could give you unlimited changes....possibly.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV should normally ignore region coding. You should change the drive region to a value that you use most, and MakeMKV still should open any region disc. Opening a disc with mismatching region usually takes a more time. The only exception would be if you have one of the drives that really enforces region lock - these are uncommon. Please try to open any disc with mismatched region and post the error log.
bwash

Post by bwash »

mike admin wrote:MakeMKV should normally ignore region coding. You should change the drive region to a value that you use most, and MakeMKV still should open any region disc. Opening a disc with mismatching region usually takes a more time. The only exception would be if you have one of the drives that really enforces region lock - these are uncommon. Please try to open any disc with mismatched region and post the error log.
Thanks for the reply. I probably did not explain myself correctly.
There was absolutely no problem loading a region 1 or region 2 dvd and ripping in MakeMKV, the problem was that each time I use a different Region DVD than the one the computer is holding it changes it to whatever the dvd region is and I have one less switch left (you only get 4).

I will probably just let it get stuck on Region 1 (so I can play the most dvd I have) and not worry about it.

Thanks again
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

bwash wrote:Thanks for the reply. I probably did not explain myself correctly.
There was absolutely no problem loading a region 1 or region 2 dvd and ripping in MakeMKV, the problem was that each time I use a different Region DVD than the one the computer is holding it changes it to whatever the dvd region is and I have one less switch left (you only get 4).
The point is that MakeMKV is not doing this. There has to be Something Else™ installed on your computer that automatically switches the region for your drive. My guess is a DVD movie player software of some kind.
junkbond916

Post by junkbond916 »

Same issue here. After using Make MKV on my iMac (running 10.7.1), I opened a DVD up in the mac DVD player, and it prompted me for a region change from 2 to 1.

The strange thing is, the disc I burned was not a region 2 - it was The Expendables, region 1.

I can confidently say that this never happened before until I used MakeMKV. Could there be a setting in DASPI that is resetting the region code for the drive?

Any thoughts?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

If I'm reading your post right, I think you are a native of region 2. So, DVD Player asked you to change your region code when you entered a foreign region (region 1) DVD?

SC