MakeMKV 1.6.8 not accepting key

Everything related to MakeMKV
casey737

MakeMKV 1.6.8 not accepting key

Post by casey737 »

I am stuck in a loop trying to activate v1.6.8. After I start the program it tells me the key is expired and removed. I restart and enter the May 2011 key and restart. When I try to decrypt it says my evaluation is expired and cycle starts again.

If I look at Help -> About I see the following (see attached file):
License Type:Freeware
Evaluation: Ended
This version expires: Wed June 22 2011 [52 day(s)]

I currently can't use this program. I have checked task manager to make sure only one instance is running as will as uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted in between.

Thanks.
crowfax

Re: MakeMKV 1.6.8 not accepting key

Post by crowfax »

Hi!

Mike will get around to updating the key soon. If you like the program and want to support development you can purchase a lifetime key here:

http://makemkv.com/buy/
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
rajb245

Post by rajb245 »

"The key will be available soon, but you should buy lifetime support" thing seems to happen frequently for a few days when each month rolls over. I'm willing to bet sales spike for the first few days each month when impatient people buy copies instead of waiting for the beta key to be released. IMHO, the product is either a beta released for testing (we're helping the developer by filing bug reports), or it is ready for prime time (he's helping us by providing us stable usable software); I don't think he should have it both ways by charging users to beta test his product.

I'm sure the developer is a busy man with a real life and job, so I don't fault him if it really takes him some extra time to getting around to updating the key. But "MakeMKV is free while in beta" is not strictly true for a few days each month, and during this time there is a profit incentive for him to delay in releasing the beta key (impatient people fork over $50), so it makes you wonder if the delay is really from being busy with other things.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

And? If impatient people buy a license because they don't want to wait for a new beta key, what's the problem? If he does wait a couple days to see if sales spike, again, what's the problem? Those that want to test this product and use it for free while the beta is happening, will put up with the inconvenience of not being able to use it for a few days every so often. Those, like me, who find value in this program, will buy it regardless. I don't see the issue here. Even if your implication that he's using the time between when the beta expires and a new beta key is released to drive sales is accurate, again, so?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

+1 to what SamuriHL said.

Also, I didn't "fork over $50" because I'm impatient. I did it because Mike has made an excellent piece of software.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

crowfax wrote:+1 to what SamuriHL said.

Also, I didn't "fork over $50" because I'm impatient. I did it because Mike has made an excellent piece of software.
I believe this is an excellent piece of software as well, and intend on purchasing it. I don't think the problem is paying the price. I think people just want to be sure they are going to get some support for their hard earned money. The lack of response to the topics of the beta key (several threads now) by the admins doesn't portray that support. Most importantly, I think people just want information, and the lack of it can become frustrating.

That being said, when you purchase the software, does it automatically generate a key for use immediately?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

BlackDragon24 wrote:That being said, when you purchase the software, does it automatically generate a key for use immediately?
Yup. Delivered instantly via email.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

rajb245 wrote:But "MakeMKV is free while in beta" is not strictly true for a few days each month, and during this time there is a profit incentive for him to delay in releasing the beta key (impatient people fork over $50), so it makes you wonder if the delay is really from being busy with other things.
MakeMKV is free while in beta.

Certain MakeMKV functions require a valid key, and whilst we are in beta Mike makes a time limited key available to all, for free.

Suggesting otherwise seems a little ungrateful.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

crowfax wrote:
BlackDragon24 wrote:That being said, when you purchase the software, does it automatically generate a key for use immediately?
Yup. Delivered instantly via email.
Thank you!
rajb245

Post by rajb245 »

Navvie wrote:
rajb245 wrote:But "MakeMKV is free while in beta" is not strictly true for a few days each month, and during this time there is a profit incentive for him to delay in releasing the beta key (impatient people fork over $50), so it makes you wonder if the delay is really from being busy with other things.
MakeMKV is free while in beta.

Certain MakeMKV functions require a valid key, and whilst we are in beta Mike makes a time limited key available to all, for free.

Suggesting otherwise seems a little ungrateful.
As far as I can tell from the main MakeMKV website, the project is currently in beta. There is is no time limited key available to all, for free, at this moment.
I sincerely apologize if the developer takes this as ungratefulness, I just like consistency in what people say and do. If a developer says it will be free, it should be free all the time, not free 27 days per month.

Then again, I know this is nitpicking someone who probably has a more than MakeMKV development going on in his life, so forgive me if that is the case. Even if the beta key release is intentionally delayed each month, this stuff is for profit and he can distribute it however he wants, as others have noted above. Its just that I was going to buy this AFTER it left the beta phase (why not, I've decided to buy it but want the developer to assert that these are no longer testing releases to work out bugs.). And because I need the functionality MakeMKV provides ASAP, I feel like my hand is being forced, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I might have voted with my wallet and selected another product, but MakeMKV is really the best I have been able to find, so I guess I'll just wait until its no longer a beta and then buy it.
ai3rocks57

Post by ai3rocks57 »

However it's not $50, it's ?50 which is roughly $75 USD.
rajb245

Post by rajb245 »

ai3rocks57 wrote:

However it's not $50, it's ?50 which is roughly $75 USD.
That's interesting, because the purchase page I get when I select Help->Purchase from the application says:

Product/Service name Delivery Quantity Unit price* Value
MakeMKV - General Electronic 1 50.00 USD 50.00 USD
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

ai3rocks57 wrote:However it's not $50, it's ?50 which is roughly $75 USD.
ITYF I paid $50.

Please don't correct me about a transaction that you had no part in.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I paid 50 USD. And even though I will never use the decryption capabilities of MakeMKV, I still consider it a VALUABLE piece of my backup arsenal. MKV has become my goto backup format of choice. MakeMKV makes is super simple. I ascribe value to that for it saving me time and hassle. Beta or not, it does what I need and I give that 50 USD worth of value. Just MO.
easye

Post by easye »

I've been lunking here for 2+ years and for some reason this thread got my dander up. I like the software but so far on many bds I backup I have to spend quite a bit of time messing with subs. If I could avoid that I would gladly fork over my $50, but mmkv for me is just a small piece of the process.
So my 2 cents.
Crowfax - Telling somebody that he will update soon implies you know something. If you know just tell. If not why conjecture?
Navvie - asking a question and getting flamed and called ungrateful is awfully rude don't ya think?
Raj and Casey - the previous key expired on sat evening my time....wouldn't it be great if you could go back in time? if even for a moment? or 30 if you need to rip a bd? on your computer? bottom right screen? cue the Huey Lewis.