Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
worm4000

Subtitles

Post by worm4000 »

So I'm trying to import Dr. No and it looks great and all, except I see subtitles when playing it. And as I am a native speaker of the English language I don't need subtitles when they are speaking english. I do need the forced subtitles for when characters speak other languages (not in Dr. No, but other films in the future). What am I missing, or is this a setting in VLC player?
skittle

Re: Subtitles

Post by skittle »

It is a VLC setting.
worm4000

Post by worm4000 »

So I know you said it was VLC, but I just ran an experiment and it makes me believe even more so that there is some setting on MakeMKV, that I'm missing. When I put in the Dr. No DVD, there are no subtitles. So I was just thinking that if it was a VLC setting, it would affect all media. So any help here?
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

worm4000 wrote:So I know you said it was VLC, but I just ran an experiment and it makes me believe even more so that there is some setting on MakeMKV, that I'm missing. When I put in the Dr. No DVD, there are no subtitles. So I was just thinking that if it was a VLC setting, it would affect all media. So any help here?
When makemkv outputs subtitles, regardless of how many, it automatically assigns one of those subtitle tracks as default. This can be overcome by using mkvmerge to re-create the file while turning off the default flag for the subtitle. Or, as stated, it can be turned off in VLC. But VLC will always default to playing it unless you change the flag manually by de/remuxing.