Am I doing this right? (future proofing)

Everything related to MakeMKV
bellboy

Am I doing this right? (future proofing)

Post by bellboy »

Hey all,

I lurk quite a bit here and I've been using this app for a loooong time, so apologies for the noobiness of my post. Some history... I've been using this app to rip my discs over the years to use them with Plex via ATV. As time passed and tech improved (DVD, BR, UHD) and hard drive space has become cheaper with more capacity, I started to up the quality of my rips and even re-ripped some titles and replaced some with UHD versions.

Now I've been closely watching (as much as I can digest) the discussion of ripping and keeping Dolby Vision/Atmos metadata intact (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602). I have a DTS/Atmos capable soundbar (Vizio Elevate) on my 4K TV passing through my ATV 4K and I'd like to use that for my titles that offer that soundscape. It looks like the current iteration of ATV will not allow this at the current time, but that could change with an ATV update.

Now...what I'm asking is: if I do a rip of my UHD discs and keep all of the sound choices ticked, does that future proof me for getting the best possible sound out of my rips (DTS:X, Atmos, etc.)? Will it be the same as inserting a UHD disc, or do I have to go through the hassle of creating a full backup image of the disc and go from there? I know that metadata is the key for getting my Elevate speakers to rotate (they project the sound of the height channels of Atmos) and most of the streamers do this as it's (I think) Dolby's profile 5.

I guess I just want to make sure that I don't have to re-rip these files (yet) again--or rip them into mp4 vs. mkv. Do I need to change my workflow going forward? I'm only about 100 UHD movies in and it wouldn't be that much of a hassle (gulp) than doing, say, 2,000 titles. TIA
Last edited by bellboy on Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Re: Am I doing this right? (future proofing)

Post by dcoke22 »

I seem to recall there were some bugs related to Dolby Vision support in the 1.15.x timeframe (I think). The result was things ripped on older versions of MakeMKV needed to reripped on newer versions for them to be 'proper'. Barring some other as-yet-to-be-discovered bug, I think if you're ripping UHDs with modern MakeMKV, those files should be good to go.

Whether a proper playback setup will ever exist (especially one that runs on an AppleTV) is another question.
bellboy

Re: Am I doing this right? (future proofing)

Post by bellboy »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:18 am
I seem to recall there were some bugs related to Dolby Vision support in the 1.15.x timeframe (I think). The result was things ripped on older versions of MakeMKV needed to reripped on newer versions for them to be 'proper'. Barring some other as-yet-to-be-discovered bug, I think if you're ripping UHDs with modern MakeMKV, those files should be good to go.

Whether a proper playback setup will ever exist (especially one that runs on an AppleTV) is another question.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I've only started ripping UHD discs in the last year or so, so I think I'm past the issues that you mentioned with 15.x.

So it sounds that anything UHD that I rip will work for Vision/Atmos/DTS:X/etc. without having to re-rip. If Apple could eventually snatch the defeat from the jaws of victory and give us something with ATV that works like the Nvidia Shield, I would think that I would be good to go. As much as I want to pick up a Shield, I don't want to make my living room looking like a workbench. To add to that, I'm the only one in my household that knows the ins and outs of this system and a "normal" point and click solution for everyone else is the end game here.

If anyone here disagrees with this assessment, I'd love to hear why. Thanks again.