Movie file organization software

Everything related to MakeMKV
dpcook

Movie file organization software

Post by dpcook »

I've been using makemkv for a long time and have built up a very unorganized library of movie files.

Does anyone have suggestions for software to help organize such a library on a local level. I'm not looking to serve files or anything like that. Its just that I've lost track of movies that I already own at times... Maybe I'm just getting old or something.

thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Movie file organization software

Post by dcoke22 »

Lots of people use Plex or its brethren to organize their media. That lets the files sit on a computer out of the way somewhere while making them available to devices on your home network.

If you're on a Mac, you could also try Infuse.

I think the expected way to organize a pile of movies would be to put each movie & all its associated stuff in a folder with the movie title and year. For example:

Code: Select all

Alien (1979)
Parasite (2019)
Roman Holiday (1953)
When you look at them on your computer, they'll naturally be sorted into alphabetical order. In what way are your movies disorganized?
peterkirkham

Re: Movie file organization software

Post by peterkirkham »

I have to agree with dcoke22: what exactly are you looking for in organisation? I use Plex and all my movie files are named "Movie Name (Year)". They are all in a single folder. The exception would be where I have two different versions such as "Movie Name (Year) - 1080p" and "Movie Name (Year) - 4K HDR". Those versions would sit in a subfolder titled ""Movie Name (Year)".

The Plex interface picks up from this and displays it all in a user-friendly format. The most work that is needed is to rename (if you didn't already) the filenames themselves to a sensible name expected by Plex. This is best done by hand. You could probably write a script to do some common adjustments to filenames if there was some commonality to the edits that need to be made, but otherwise just do it by hand. It'll probably take a little time if you need to change a few thousand file names, but it's very much worth it.