Aspect Ratio

Everything related to MakeMKV
sdwood

Aspect Ratio

Post by sdwood »

I have a few DVDs that start out with the menu in 4:3 but when you play the movies they jump to 16:9. VLC gets this right as does Handbrake but when I convert them with MakeMKV the aspect ratio for the movie is 4:3. This creates a rather unpleasant looking video where things appear "squished". In VLC if I force the aspect ratio to 16:9 instead of using default then everything looks great but this is a bit of a hassle.

MediaInfo shows that the aspect ratio for VIDEO_TS.IFO (and BUP) are 4:3 for these but the aspect ratio for the VTS_02_0.IFO (and BUP and VOB) are 16:9. It seems like MakeMKV is picking up the VIDEO_TS aspect ratio and using it for everything instead of reading the aspect ratio for the specific track.

I have used one of the tools in the MKV Merge package to alter the aspect ratio to 16:9 in the actual MKV and then everything works well, but it would be nicer if MakeMKV just did this correctly from the start.

One specific title this happens on is "The Hole" (NTSC) but I have run into it on several others.

If you need logs or what not I would be more than happy to provide them.
mike admin

Re: Aspect Ratio

Post by mike admin »

Aspect ratio is encoded in both MPEG file and DVD IFO container. Sometimes disc is authored in a such way that MPEG file is 4:3 but IFO indicates 16:9 . MakeMKV extracts MPEG file only so IFO information gets discarded.