Why forced subtitles are not marked as forced subtitles ?

Everything related to MakeMKV
HollowMac

Why forced subtitles are not marked as forced subtitles ?

Post by HollowMac »

Hello,

Why forced subtitles which appears in MakeMKV are not appear as forced subtitles in the MKV produced ?

Thanks ;)
dj2hynes

Re: Why forced subtitles are not marked as forced subtitles

Post by dj2hynes »

what movie are you talking about? I'm assuming you mean on blu-ray, cause all DVD subtitles work fine with makemkv.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

In the MakeMKV Titles window, EVERY subtitle stream has a "Forced subtitle" that is checked. This only means that it MAY have a forced subtitle stream. If you leave the forced subtitle stream checked but there is no ACTUAL forced subtitle, it will not be "magically" created...

HollowMac

Post by HollowMac »

dj2hynes wrote:what movie are you talking about? I'm assuming you mean on blu-ray, cause all DVD subtitles work fine with makemkv.
For all movies.

MakeMKV creates forced subtitles but not mark them as "forced subtitles" in the MKV which is created.
tlfreeman

Post by tlfreeman »

Yeah, this (forced subtitles not being created with the forced flag on) and the default subtitle issue (all primary subtitles getting flagged as default "yes") can be easily fixed by mkvmerge, but it still takes time.

The forced flag not being checked only affects a limited number of movies (District 9, Avatar, etc) but is pretty significant and should probably be changed to default the forced flag to yes.

The default subtitle thing I believe is done because of issues with some players, while it inconveniences others who use players like VLC where they must be turned off.

I think an options menu choice of how makemkv will treat subtitles in these 2 ways would be amazing.
vernongreen

Post by vernongreen »

tlfreeman wrote:Yeah, this (forced subtitles not being created with the forced flag on) and the default subtitle issue (all primary subtitles getting flagged as default "yes") can be easily fixed by mkvmerge, but it still takes time.

The forced flag not being checked only affects a limited number of movies (District 9, Avatar, etc) but is pretty significant and should probably be changed to default the forced flag to yes.

The default subtitle thing I believe is done because of issues with some players, while it inconveniences others who use players like VLC where they must be turned off.

I think an options menu choice of how makemkv will treat subtitles in these 2 ways would be amazing.
I second this suggestion.
JustinChase

Post by JustinChase »

I would also like to see this handled better. The suggestion above would be a big improvement I think :)

thanks
MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

I would also like to see them flagged correctly - the newest Popcorn Hour player firmware does not work as intended because MakeMKV does not set the forced flags, see here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3355