MakeMKV - Audio and Subtitles preview

Everything related to MakeMKV
DracoChronicles

MakeMKV - Audio and Subtitles preview

Post by DracoChronicles »

Would it be possible to preview Audio and Subtitles before Ripping?

I have noticed that when you have 15 Subtitles, where 4 of them is mentioned as "English", and it is hard to get the right one. Director's commentary, and similar audiotracks usually comes with their own individual subtitles.

So I would like to preview - see the DVD / BlueRay with some sample rather than just "English" - so I have something to base my selections on.

If not, is there a way to do this if I rip Everything, and then edit the MKV activly afterwards?

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV - Audio and Subtitles preview

Post by Woodstock »

Theoretically, you could have MakeMKV stream the disk to Kodi or VLC, but it is simpler and faster to just "rip it all", and sort it out after the fact.

My workflow is to have MakeMKV rip all audio and subtitle tracks (not just English), the use VLC to figure out which ones are the ones I want to keep. I then use this information to set up a handbrake job to compress the video, arrange the other tracks for maximum player compatibility, and let that run. If you are concerned about "not losing ANY quality", you can use mkvmerge to re-multiplex the tracks you want in the order you want, with no conversions done.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Re: MakeMKV - Audio and Subtitles preview

Post by Chetwood »

Why not play back the BD (in VLC) and cycle through the subs so as to know which is which?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch