Forced subtitle vs Seperate track

Everything related to MakeMKV
schneifu

Forced subtitle vs Seperate track

Post by schneifu »

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but is there any way currently in MakeMKV to determine if the forced subs for a bluray are contained in a subtitle track that uses the 'forced' flags or if they are in their own seperate track? What I do now is check both the 'Subtitle' and 'Forced' check boxes for all english language subtitles in MakeMKV. After the mkv is created I check the output message to see if there were any forced subtitles found, if not I extract the subtitle files from the mkv and open them up in BDSupToSub to see if they look like they only contain forced subtitles. I then remux to remove any subtitles that aren't forced. I think it would be nice if the size could be listed next to the subtitle streams similar to the title streams. Even better would be a preview functionality like DVDFab to make sure that the correct title and subtitle streams were being selected.
mike admin

Re: Forced subtitle vs Seperate track

Post by mike admin »

You can't distinguish forced subtitles in advance, see http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10
schneifu

Re: Forced subtitle vs Seperate track

Post by schneifu »

I have seen that faq before. Maybe I am using the wrong terms. By 'Forced Subtitles' I mean non-default language being shown (ie. alien dialogue). I am wondering if there is an easy way to determine on a bluray disc if the 'Forced Subtitles' are included in the main subtitle track or if they are included in their own separate track. I believe Star Trek 3 is like this where the 'Forced Subtitles' exist on their own track so if you only select the check box for 'Forced' you will not get a subtitle track ouputted at all. That is why I though it might be nice to show the the subtitle track size like how the title tracks show their size next to them or if there was a preview feature like in DVDFab to find which subtitle tracks to include.

Thanks