PGS Forced Subtitle Rip Error

Everything related to MakeMKV
allisong

PGS Forced Subtitle Rip Error

Post by allisong »

I have been using MakeMKV to rip Blu-Rays with forced subtitles, such as Avatar etc. I select english forced only. Using Haali and ffdshow and windows media player to show these, the subitles show up fine but always stay on the screen at the end.

If I use normal subtitles this does not happen, the subitles are automatically removed. I have now done a lot of investigating, and it is clear tha that when I rip just using the "forced" option, these are placed into a seperate stream and that the MakeMKV program does not have the correct data to stop displaying the subtitles. For the "normal" subtitles it is present.

This can be seen by taking the MKV file and using one of the many tools to strip out the ripped forced subtitles into a seperate file and then using one of the free subtitle tools to look at the time stamps.

Many people think this is a decoder/filter issue, but I contend it is actually a "ripper" issue as if the data is not present the decoder cannot work with it??

Would be great if MakeMKV could fix this, thanks!
setarip_old

Re: PGS Forced Subtitle Rip Error

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

As an experiment, have you tried including BOTH "Forced" and "normal" English subtitles?

m1keyboy

Post by m1keyboy »

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue with 1.6.0. It doesn't appear to be disc specific as it's happening on every rip.

I tried what setarip_old suggested and checked both the normal and forced subs, but the issue remains (I just get two subtitle tracks instead of one).

Are there any workarounds for this?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Can you please create any MKV with forced subtitles, then use mkvextract or eac3to to extract that track, compress produced PGS file and send it to support@makemkv.com . Also, do you see the same behavior in VLC?
m1keyboy

Post by m1keyboy »

mike admin wrote:Can you please create any MKV with forced subtitles, then use mkvextract or eac3to to extract that track, compress produced PGS file and send it to support@makemkv.com . Also, do you see the same behavior in VLC?
I'll do this tonight.

And yes, I see the same behaviour in VLC.
m1keyboy

Post by m1keyboy »

Hi mike admin,

Just checking that you got my compressed PGS sent 20/10/10?
anomousny

Post by anomousny »

This problem still exists. If I use the latest MakeMKV beta and create a separate forced subtitle track for my Avatar remux, the subtitles will stay forever, until a new forced subtitle is displayed. I tried to play it with VLC (OSX) and Dune Smart HD and both show the same wrong behavior. VLC seems to have some kind of protection and fades away the stuck subtitles after some time (20-30 seconds), but it is clear that the subtitles stay far too long.

If I create the same remux using eac3to, bdsup2sub (to extract the forced subtitles, keeping the sup format - no conversion) and MKVmerge, the forced subtitles work without problems and are faded away after 2-3 seconds on VLC and Dune.

The full subtitle track doesn't show this problem. So it has to be a problem with the way MakeMKV extracts the forced subtitles from the full subtitle track. This is really bad, because I can't use MakeMKV for any movies that use foreign language and forced subtitles.
samtoy

Post by samtoy »

Is there any progress in fixing this bug?

This bug is pretty much a 'show stopper' for me and I guess for many others as well...
anomousny

Post by anomousny »

Has this been fixed?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

anomousny wrote:Has this been fixed?
Should be as of version 1.7.7:
http://www.makemkv.com/download/ wrote:
  • MakeMKV v1.7.7 ( 16.8.2012 )
    • Bug fixes:
      • Forced subtitles were extracted incompletely on certain blu-ray discs
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Just tried it with 1.7.8 and Avatar RC1 and it works, forced sub items disappear automatically.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

I can't get anything to come out of The Bourne Identity Blu-Ray unless I select the full subtitle i.e. selecting only English 'forced only', does not appear to work. Is an issue with 1.7.8 and 1.7.9. Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Andy
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

AndyH wrote:I can't get anything to come out of The Bourne Identity Blu-Ray unless I select the full subtitle i.e. selecting only English 'forced only', does not appear to work. Is an issue with 1.7.8 and 1.7.9. Any ideas?
Probably because the subtitles are not flagged as forced, that's all. Forced subs will then be in a separate track.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Romansh wrote:
AndyH wrote:I can't get anything to come out of The Bourne Identity Blu-Ray unless I select the full subtitle i.e. selecting only English 'forced only', does not appear to work. Is an issue with 1.7.8 and 1.7.9. Any ideas?
Probably because the subtitles are not flagged as forced, that's all. Forced subs will then be in a separate track.
Yes you were right - sorry, having a senior moment, thanks for your help!