Beta key expired?

Everything related to MakeMKV
shinjin

Beta key expired?

Post by shinjin »

Hi all,

Does anyone else have a problem using the current beta key?
MakeMKV reports is expired both on Windows and Linux for me.

Edit: I'm aware of the key at http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
but it's simply not working.
BellBiv

Re: Beta key expired?

Post by BellBiv »

shinjin wrote:Does anyone else have a problem using the current beta key?
MakeMKV reports is expired both on Windows and Linux for me.
Yes, I am seeing this as well. Currently unable to use until a new key is available. The current key was set to expire at the end of the month, so hopefully we will see a new key soon.
dcplus14

Post by dcplus14 »

Yes, I too am experiencing the same issue across both of my machines.
vaultaire

Post by vaultaire »

dcplus14 wrote:Yes, I too am experiencing the same issue across both of my machines.
Same on this end.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

This comes up frequently when a current beta key expires and a new one is not yet available. A new beta will be released shortly, which could be later today, in a couple days, or a couple weeks. Though there are ways to backdate a computer to allow further use (I've never used this method), my recommendation is to please be patient until the new beta is released or one can purchase a key at:

www.makemkv.com/buy

Purchasing will help keep this terrific project, and product, going!

(I am not a mod nor do I have any relationship with MakeMKV other than that I'm a very happy user)
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

yorgo wrote: Purchasing will help keep this terrific project, and product, going!
I agree! However, I also think a purchase is pretty expensive right now for someone who uses MakeMKV just occasionally, even if it is a very high quality program.

Today was the first day I've been wanting to use it for about 3 months... Backing up a BD every couple of months is not worth 60€ to me. I like to pay for software I use heavily and have no trouble paying others for their work at all. I would shell out about 20€ in a heartbeat for example. But the pricing right now is just too much for my personal and very infrequent use :/.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Backdate method: Set your computer DATE (don't change the time) to the 25th. Start MakeMKV. Change computer date to current date.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
meharledge

Post by meharledge »

Hi there:
I am new here. I just downloaded this about 3 days ago. I love it. Today I can still convert my Blu-rays, but the DVD's no longer work. Is this because the code has expired? But why would the blu-rays still work? Maybe because I'm will in my 30 day trial?? Thank yall for helping out a newbie.
shinjin

Post by shinjin »

yorgo wrote: I agree! However, I also think a purchase is pretty expensive right now for someone who uses MakeMKV just occasionally, even if it is a very high quality program.

Today was the first day I've been wanting to use it for about 3 months... Backing up a BD every couple of months is not worth 60€ to me. I like to pay for software I use heavily and have no trouble paying others for their work at all. I would shell out about 20€ in a heartbeat for example. But the pricing right now is just too much for my personal and very infrequent use :/.
Totally agree with Tapioka! A more reasonable price would make me buy MakeMKV in heartbeat!
Last edited by shinjin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinjin

Post by shinjin »

yorgo wrote:This comes up frequently when a current beta key expires and a new one is not yet available. A new beta will be released shortly, which could be later today, in a couple days, or a couple weeks.
Be as it may, but a non-expired key not working sounds more like a bug than anything else.
The official announcement says it is valid until Nov. 30, and it stopped working on the 29th.
MrBfJohn

Post by MrBfJohn »

It's a handy tool, but considering it's something most people will only use once or twice a month they really should think about altering the price. Like Tapioka I'd gladly chuck £20-£25 in the pot to keep the project going, but £51!! That's almost as much as the operating system I use every time I turn the PC on!
doberman

Post by doberman »

I am with you on that. If it was £20 or so I'd buy it right away!
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Oh boy.....here we go again.

Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Perfect response, Lovely Rita, that made my day!

BTW, the asking price is more than reasonable, the requests for it to be less than half of asking (or anything reduced, in fact) are not. If you like it and use it enough, buy it. If not, simply and patiently wait for the beta or follow Woodstock's steps to backdate.
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

I'm not asking for the price to be reduced. I recognize it's a great program and I could easily see myself paying 60€ for it - if I was using it more frequently. But I'm not. I wouldn't buy a very expensive car either if it was mainly going to rot in my garage and I would only drive it four times a year (no matter how great the car itself is).

So, please keep the price as it is, I can see "BD-backup-enthusiasts" getting great value for it. I just stated that it's above the limit of what I would be willing to pay. So I'll keep relying on beta keys for now.

Maybe different versions of MakeMKV would fix this "problem" (if it even is a problem). Version A with a limit of X backups per month for people like me and a Version B with an unlimited number for the heavy users.

Another thing is that I don't see this discussion as "unreasonable". Why would talking about the price of a product (one of the most important aspects about selling any product) be unreasonable?