USB 2.0 BD-Rom faster than new USB 3.0 BD-Rom???

Everything related to MakeMKV
shaocaholica

USB 2.0 BD-Rom faster than new USB 3.0 BD-Rom???

Post by shaocaholica »

Maybe this is a common issue but this is all new to me. I have an old USB 2.0 BD-Rom from a few years back and I just got a new USB 3.0 BD-Rom and for some reason when reading BDs with MakeMKV the newer USB 3.0 drive performs worse than the older USB 2.0 drive as if its being limited somewhere.

MakeMKV 1.99
OS X 10.10.5
Asus SBC-06D2X-U (USB 2.0, reads up to ~5x)
Pioneer BDR-XD05 (USB 3.0, reads up to 2.0x)

Both drives copy BDs successfully, just the speed differs.
Woodstock

Re: USB 2.0 BD-Rom faster than new USB 3.0 BD-Rom???

Post by Woodstock »

The 2x speed of the Pioneer looks remarkably like a riplocked drive. You aren't the only person to notice that it is limited to 2.x when ripping. It may be related to the "auto Quiet mode", which keeps the drive from being noisy (fast=noisy).

There are messages on the net about a Windows-only tool to turn off the auto Quiet mode, which increases the speed, probably on the disk that came with the drive, but my quick search did not turn up an OS X or Linux equivalent. The utility also can change how quickly it gives up on unreadable sectors.

You might check the Pioneer site to see if they have something for OS X.
cojms1

Re: USB 2.0 BD-Rom faster than new USB 3.0 BD-Rom???

Post by cojms1 »

Sorry to bring this thread almost back from the dead. I had the same problem and it was exactly as @Woodstock had said. This is related to the "Quiet Drive" feature.

Pioneer do provide a tool for managing this on Windows and it can be found at https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... b=firmware

That tool seems to have solved my slowness issue when ripping.