New feature: rip tracks without video

Everything related to MakeMKV
olupome

New feature: rip tracks without video

Post by olupome »

Hello,

Thank you for your amazing job on MakeMKV, I use it everyday to watch my blurays. I may suggest a new feature here which would be very useful to me: give the possibility to rip the desired tracks without the video layer, by adding a checkbox just like the audio or subtitles layers.

I just realized that, when I ripped and compressed many of my blurays, I used bad audio settings. So now I want to rip the audio tracks again to merge them into the video I already have, and it is a shame that I have to extract the video layer too, which takes a long time for nothing.

Well, this is just an idea, but I'm sure I am not the only one who would use it ;)
Woodstock

Re: New feature: rip tracks without video

Post by Woodstock »

Someone else asked about this in the past few days, but...

It takes just as long to rip audio only as it does video+audio, because the entire title has to be read... The audio, video, subtitle, and other tracks are interleaved. If you are not getting errors about "program reads faster than it can write" while ripping, you will see zero speed improvement.
olupome

Re: New feature: rip tracks without video

Post by olupome »

Alright, It would just save temporary space in case of ripping from a bluray, but I sometimes also rip from iso, and I bet it would be more efficient that way ;)