Closed Caption

Everything related to MakeMKV
dtblair

Closed Caption

Post by dtblair »

Are Closed Captions still not addressed in 1.4.1.2?
setarip_old

Re: Closed Caption

Post by setarip_old »

@dtblair

Hi!

Are you asking this regarding standard DVDs or BluRay discs?
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

Bluray
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

BluRay does not incorporate the "Line 21 Closed Captioning" found on standard DVDs.

Instead, when authoring a BluRay, an "SDH" ("Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing") subtitle stream containing all of the same oral dialoog and non-oral sounds, symbols etc. as are found in a Closed Captioning setup. However, it's added to the disc as what appears to be an ordinary subtitle stream. I believe however, that it would have a different track I.D. number than the primary subtitle stream of the same language.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

When I rip a Bluray, I select all the available subtitle streams in the hope that one will contain the CC information. So far, no luck. I have used DVDFab and it does catch the CC stream but MakeMKV is a much better program. I have a deaf family member and would really like this to be convered.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I guess you should first determine whether the BluRay HAS an SDH track - by looking at the back of the clamshell package.

At the very least, you can include the primary English (if that's your spoken language) subtitle stream to accommodate those who are hearing impaired...