File save error

Everything related to MakeMKV
cc_in_oh

File save error

Post by cc_in_oh »

Hello,

Using MakeMKV 1.9.0 on Win7.

My file saves of any size work fine to local internal drive, local USB3 drive or network ethernet drive but even 700MB ones fail consistently to a USB3 drive on router's USB3 port, throwing Error 'OS error - The transport connection is now disconnected' occurred while writing data to '//READYSHARE/USB_Storage/Seagate 4TB Root...

Moving locally-saved files of any size to the network drive never fails, just files being written by MakeMKV - I can't force any kind of error or failure by the router, the network connection (WiFi) or the drive.

I tried swapping the local USB drive but it's a portable the router doesn't recognize.

The same error was reported in a 2009 post, but with no solution.

Are there any MakeMKV settings I can try tweaking to fix this? Or is anyone aware of any router settings that might impact just MakeMKV?

Thanks,
CC
Yugatha

Re: File save error

Post by Yugatha »

Hi,

As soon as I saw the word Readyshare, I knew you were going to have issues. Netgear does not have the best File Sharing software in the world - it's actually crap. I'm in an ongoing 6-month support case with them for this very reason, starting out with an R7000, exchanging the R7000, and moving on to an R8000. My issues are related to using certain file copying programs (ie, Teracopy, and one I wrote myself) where the file size is increased after copying a file larger than 16MB. But I digress.

Basically, Netgear USB NAS functionality on their routers is terrible. It may be improved by a firmware update on the Router itself, but chances are it won't. My recommendation would be to rip it to a local device, then move it later. Or just leave the drive plugged into a computer that is on constantly, and set up a network share so it acts as a NAS.
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

Yugatha wrote:Hi,

As soon as I saw the word Readyshare, I knew you were going to have issues. Netgear does not have the best File Sharing software in the world - it's actually crap. I'm in an ongoing 6-month support case with them for this very reason, starting out with an R7000, exchanging the R7000, and moving on to an R8000. My issues are related to using certain file copying programs (ie, Teracopy, and one I wrote myself) where the file size is increased after copying a file larger than 16MB. But I digress.

Basically, Netgear USB NAS functionality on their routers is terrible. It may be improved by a firmware update on the Router itself, but chances are it won't. My recommendation would be to rip it to a local device, then move it later. Or just leave the drive plugged into a computer that is on constantly, and set up a network share so it acts as a NAS.
Thank you for the feedback. That's exactly what I've been doing since problems started - in fact picked up a cheap 2TB internal SATA to make sure I had plenty of space to keep files until I was sure they copied OK.

Any idea why it would only be a problem with MakeMKV saves? For 2 years I saved to a USB drive on my old WNDR3800 without a hitch.

I've come to suspect some corruption may be involved - I'm working on getting the drive cleaned off so I can see if reformatting helps. The USB3 speed is a tremendous improvement but it doesn't buy me much if I can't trust the data integrity (I would also try write-verification if I could find a way...)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

One thing you could try is to simply disconnect the external drive from the router and attach it to your computer and run checks on it. The success of that depends on what format you used on the drive when it was initialized. I use NTFS for everything, because it lets all of my systems (Linux and Windows) to handle them.

My previous NAS (Iomega) was atrociously slow copying files to the external drives. It was faster to drop the drive, plug into a computer, copy, then re-attach it to the NAS. This also allowed for running chkdsk and other utilities.

Ultimate solution was a new NAS, which takes care of everything EXCEPT wireless access, which is done through dedicated wireless access points, which are cheaper to distribute throughout the house. The NAS units from Synology work well with everything I've tested them against, including as targets for MakeMKV to write to - it's been tested with 3 machines feeding 5 streams of date from MakeMKV at the same time two machines were running Handbrake, reading from and writing to the NAS.

Which reminds me... it's time to add another 4tb drive to it... it's getting full. :roll:
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

Woodstock wrote:One thing you could try is to simply disconnect the external drive from the router and attach it to your computer and run checks on it. The success of that depends on what format you used on the drive when it was initialized. I use NTFS for everything, because it lets all of my systems (Linux and Windows) to handle them.

My previous NAS (Iomega) was atrociously slow copying files to the external drives. It was faster to drop the drive, plug into a computer, copy, then re-attach it to the NAS. This also allowed for running chkdsk and other utilities.

Ultimate solution was a new NAS, which takes care of everything EXCEPT wireless access, which is done through dedicated wireless access points, which are cheaper to distribute throughout the house. The NAS units from Synology work well with everything I've tested them against, including as targets for MakeMKV to write to - it's been tested with 3 machines feeding 5 streams of date from MakeMKV at the same time two machines were running Handbrake, reading from and writing to the NAS.

Which reminds me... it's time to add another 4tb drive to it... it's getting full. :roll:
Thanks - good advice - I might be able to repair any corruption without reformatting.

I have several ethernet drives that work fine - the data is just video so not worth investing in a true NAS system. I could hang this drive on the USB port on one of the ethernet drives but I hate to lose the USB3 speed I get on the router...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well.... an "ethernet drive" is network attached storage, so... you already own a few NAS.... ;) And they're probably running Linux to provide the interface.

The main difference is that the Netgear router is running both NAS and media sharing software. And while the router has a USB3 port on it (I have one of them here, using it just for the dual-band wifi), its USB interface is limited by CPU itself, so the difference between it and a USB2 port on the ethernet drives may not be as big as you think.

Does the shared drive disappear if you copy a large file to it from the computer that is running MakeMKV? Try it with something at least 5 or 6 GB.
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

Woodstock wrote:Well.... an "ethernet drive" is network attached storage, so... you already own a few NAS.... ;) And they're probably running Linux to provide the interface.

The main difference is that the Netgear router is running both NAS and media sharing software. And while the router has a USB3 port on it (I have one of them here, using it just for the dual-band wifi), its USB interface is limited by CPU itself, so the difference between it and a USB2 port on the ethernet drives may not be as big as you think.

Does the shared drive disappear if you copy a large file to it from the computer that is running MakeMKV? Try it with something at least 5 or 6 GB.
Referring to a Seagate GoFlex or Buffalo Linkstation as "NAS" offends the purists on some forums - If it ain't full redundancy mirroring and even hot-swapping it ain't NAS. It's like I can't refer to my Funai video recorders as DVRs because they're just single-tuner SD - they must be referred to as DVDR even though they record to HDD.

In any case, the media sharing software is turned off on every device - my WD SMP has native support for MKV. I just copied a 6GB file to the drive with no problem, though it was over WiFi at 20MB/s so maybe slow enough for the router to handle...

Edit 13Jan2015>>> After running the disk check tool on the drive, I reattached it to the router and a 1.2GB MakeMKV save worked. Disk corruption was apparently the culprit; the mystery is why it only seemed to affect MakeMKV saves.

Thank you for the tips...