BR ISO to single MKV file

Everything related to MakeMKV
danmittonsr

BR ISO to single MKV file

Post by danmittonsr »

Is it possible to convert a BR ISO into a single MKV file, rather than the 30-40+ that I am seeing generated? Thanks.
TolkienBard

Re: BR ISO to single MKV file

Post by TolkienBard »

danmittonsr wrote:Is it possible to convert a BR ISO into a single MKV file, rather than the 30-40+ that I am seeing generated? Thanks.
The majority of those titles have nothing to do with the movie. The entire is contained in just one of those many many files you see listed. Usually it's the largest one listed. The rest can be "unchecked" and the ISO can be converted. Then, when playing the .mkv, you will only be playing the movie and not any of the other associated "stuff". This also has the added benefit of freeing up a great deal of HDD space without actually compressing the film as all of those other files simply get left out. This can be handy if you are like me and have about 3,000 titles spread out over 400 BD and about 4,000 DVDs (since TV shows count as 1 title per season).
Woodstock

Re: BR ISO to single MKV file

Post by Woodstock »

An MKV file of an ISO, if it is possible (not sure about that), would be slightly bigger than the ISO itself. The author of MakeMKV, Mike, has pointed out that there is nothing in the MKV file format for storing a menu structure.

As pointed out, you can dispose of things you don't need by ripping to individual MKV files. Don't need the Thai, French, Portuguese, Chinese, or Spanish audio and subtitle tracks (yes, I have disks with all those tracks)? Leave them out. Don't want the "extras"? Don't rip them.

Yes, it can involve a little more work on the front end (ripping), but you can set defaults to make things a bit easier, especially if you have Expert mode turned on.