I always get this error, what does it mean?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Cheddar

I always get this error, what does it mean?

Post by Cheddar »

Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\(the name of the disc here).tgz'
Woodstock

Re: I always get this error, what does it mean?

Post by Woodstock »

It means that Windows is denying access to MakeMKV to write a file it uses to keep track of the highest version of AACS your drive has seen. This usually means that you installed MakeMKV as an administrator, but are running it as a different user, so you don't "own" the directory. This is really a good thing.

Under MakeMKV preferences, the General tab has "MakeMKV data directory" - set it to a directory you own. I created "c:\makemkvsvq" on my system. These tgz files should go in there when created.
Cheddar

Post by Cheddar »

Woodstock wrote:It means that Windows is denying access to MakeMKV to write a file it uses to keep track of the highest version of AACS your drive has seen. This usually means that you installed MakeMKV as an administrator, but are running it as a different user, so you don't "own" the directory. This is really a good thing.

Under MakeMKV preferences, the General tab has "MakeMKV data directory" - set it to a directory you own. I created "c:\makemkvsvq" on my system. These tgz files should go in there when created.
I created C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKVtgz and still getting the error.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It means that you've changed "makemkv data directory" in preferences to c:\prigram files. This is a very bad idea. Please create a directory in your user folder (or anywhere else where you normally keep your files) and set the "MakeMKV data directory" to that value. Or just clear the value - the default value is a good choice.
Fawkes

Post by Fawkes »

hi,

the default in preferences is usualy
C:\Users\%username%/.MakeMKV
while %username% would be the user you are using with makemkv