Before I buy the program, some questions please

Everything related to MakeMKV
chrisc

Before I buy the program, some questions please

Post by chrisc »

1 - The blu-ray disc I ripped is 44Gb in size, but the ripped files total 62Gb. Should they not be smaller?
2 - There was no video on any of the files, only audio. How do I overcome this?
3 - Is it not possible for the entire disc to be ripped as one file, or do there have to be "chapters"?

Thank you
setarip_old

Re: Before I buy the program, some questions please

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

1) What is the title and region of the Blu-ray disc?

2) Is it an episodic disc? If so, does it allow you to select both "Play All" and "Select an episode to play"?

3) Does the disc contain different versions of the same movie?

4) Did you (As you should have) use your original, commercial Blu-ray disc as input source for MakeMKV - or did you first process the original blu-ray disc with another program?

5) Does your original, commercial Blu-ray disc play with video, or does it too play audio only?

6) What player (software or standalone player) are you using for playback?

Hofmeister

Post by Hofmeister »

chrisc wrote:1 - The blu-ray disc I ripped is 44Gb in size, but the ripped files total 62Gb. Should they not be smaller?
One possible explanation: This is typical of BDs with seamless branching offering more than one version of the main feature (as mentioned in point 3 of setarip_old's post)

An example is the Paramount release of William Wellman's WINGS (1927). The full disc comes in at approximately 44GB and contains two versions of WINGS. The version with the reconstructed Zamecnik score and sound effects is several minutes longer (due to prelude, intermission, exit music & restoration credits) than the version with the Gaylord Carter organ score. (This is also why the soundtrack cannot be changed on-the-fly.) The bulk of the material, shared by the two versions, needs to be present only once on the disc, with the differing passages stored separately. When MakeMKV puts out the two features, it has to write each into a complete MKV. You end up with both versions separately, summing up to around 65GB.

Could something like this be the case at hand?
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

1) What is the title and region of the Blu-ray disc?
2) Is it an episodic disc? If so, does it allow you to select both "Play All" and "Select an episode to play"?
3) Does the disc contain different versions of the same movie?
4) Did you (As you should have) use your original, commercial Blu-ray disc as input source for MakeMKV - or did you first process the original blu-ray disc with another program?
5) Does your original, commercial Blu-ray disc play with video, or does it too play audio only?
6) What player (software or standalone player) are you using for playback?
The disc is BBC "Life" region B
Yes, I can choose Play All and also select episodes to play
There is only one version of the film on the disc
I did use the original disc
I have an Oppo BDP93 blu-ray player and this plays the disc with video and audio.
I am using a Samsung external blu-ray drive to capture the disc

Thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Yes, I can choose Play All and also select episodes to play
This is why the cumulative titles indicated by MakeMKV total more than the actual disc size, as MakeMKV reflects totals for BOTH "Play all" and the individual episodes...

BTW - Do not confuse "Chapters" with "Episodes"...