Any WDTV Live (gen2) users have problems with branched...

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jeddia

Any WDTV Live (gen2) users have problems with branched...

Post by Jeddia »

I have a WDTV Live (the 2nd version of their box). Aside from a few glaring issues with it, it has been a great media player when used in conjunction with MakeMKV.

One of it's two glaring issues is that it downmixes 5.1 AC3 tracks to stereo poorly.

The other issue is that when it plays an .mkv that was created from a BD with branching, it lags slightly where the segments change - which slowly causes the audio to desync. This is a slightly annoying problem with discs like the Alien movies, where you can choose which version you want to watch - thus the streams are comprised of maybe 3 or 4 segments (creating 3 or 4 instances of 'lag' during playback on the WDTV Live).

It is a HUGE problem with discs like that last Twilight movie, where the studio decided to try to befuddle rippers with 'fake' streams - and each stream has like 30 segments. That creates a 'lag' spot about every 2-3 minutes during playback.

Just wondering if any of you use a WDTV Live and have experienced this issue; and if so, is there a workaround short of buying a different player.

For the record, I've tried using tsMuxer to create an .m2ts file instead and I get similar results. So I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the player and not the rip process. MKV's (and .m2ts) files that are created from a single segment on the disc play perfectly.
Chetwood

Re: Any WDTV Live (gen2) users have problems with branched..

Post by Chetwood »

No, I haven't noticed any lag issues from branching on my WDTV LIVEs (only that unzipped PGS subs don't play which annoys the hell out of me). You should rip those with DVDfab in main movie mode first to make sure all copy protections are gone before using MakeMKV.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Chetwood wrote:You should rip those with DVDfab in main movie mode first to make sure all copy protections are gone before using MakeMKV.
Why? MakeMKV should do it better on the fly...
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Mike, I really like your program (except the missing zlib compression, see above) but its ripping routines are not exactly a match for DVDfab. MakeMKV often claims on-the-fly decryption software is enabled, when it's not and when its taking longer to rip a disc due o some protection, DVDfab rips the same disc in no time.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch