Windows 8 Consumer Preview not working?

Everything related to MakeMKV
swest6602

Windows 8 Consumer Preview not working?

Post by swest6602 »

Has anyone successfully ripped a Blu-Ray on the Windows 8 Developers Beta? I have tried Lord of the Rings Extended Edition (Fellowship and Two Towers) as well as Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 1. I already ripped Harry Potter when I was on Windows 7 so that was just a test after LOTR did not work. Anyone else try this yet? Any work-arounds or ETA on an update? I do not have another computer with a BD drive so hoping to see Make MKV work with Win 8. I use it regularly. Thanks
ryanjk333

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview not working?

Post by ryanjk333 »

Interesting question! What happens when you try it and what error(s) do you get? I'm sure MakeMKV will eventually work with Windows 8 but Windows 8 is a ways off from being finished so idk how much software developers can base their software around it at this point, with so many changes that'll be made to the OS in future months before it's complete. Perhaps someone else has more thoughts on all this for us...?
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
celavey

Post by celavey »

I don't know why anyone is trying to have this software run in Windows 8. It still needs to be update for other bugs to get fixed. I am currently in Windows 7 and I will stick to it for a while.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

swest6602 wrote:Has anyone successfully ripped a Blu-Ray on the Windows 8 Developers Beta? I have tried Lord of the Rings Extended Edition (Fellowship and Two Towers) as well as Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 1. I already ripped Harry Potter when I was on Windows 7 so that was just a test after LOTR did not work. Anyone else try this yet? Any work-arounds or ETA on an update? I do not have another computer with a BD drive so hoping to see Make MKV work with Win 8. I use it regularly. Thanks
Well it worked in the previous version and basically the consumer Preview is still win7 with Metro on top.
Still having (big) problems with my test version, so will not be able to test until tomorrow.
swest6602

Post by swest6602 »

ryanjk333 wrote:Interesting question! What happens when you try it and what error(s) do you get? I'm sure MakeMKV will eventually work with Windows 8 but Windows 8 is a ways off from being finished so idk how much software developers can base their software around it at this point, with so many changes that'll be made to the OS in future months before it's complete. Perhaps someone else has more thoughts on all this for us...?
ryanjk333 I am able to load the disc and it starts to decrypt-- it runs for a while continually sending out the error message "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/0004.m2ts is corrupt or invalid at offset 104480 (this # changes). attempting to work around" Eventually it finishes with a Fail and no movies saved.

I remember having an issue just after the 30 days ran out, but before I paid for the app, where it appeared to run but then failed at the end. No idea what the error message was at that time, but the end result was similar. Since the Desktop portion of Win 8 is very similar to Win 7 it seems odd that Make MKV would not work (but what the hell do I know). Just wondering if it is possible that my issue is registration related. I purchased the product and added the Registration Key to the new install on Win 8. It says registered. Any chance it will only allow one install (i.e. the Windows 7 install) and now is giving me an issue for re-installing on Windows 8 with the same key? Honestly just grasping at straws but thought I'd toss it out there.

As a response to celavey I updated to Windows 8 because I was curious. I can restore the Windows 7 system image if I want to. Truthfully, I actually like Windows 8 quite a lot. It is running great on my Media PC and the only apps I have had an issue with are Make MKV and Media Browser. There is a good metro app for podcasts and both the music and video metro apps are very nice. Additional programs like weather, calendar etc updating on the main screen for viewing at a glance are pretty cool as well. Also I was able to reinstall all my codecs and Media Center is playing my MKV's just fine. I'd love it if someone could figure out a way to see mkv's in the Metro video app, but with only a couple of exceptions Windows 8 makes a great Media PC OS.

Thanks for the input everyone.
swest6602

SOLVEd Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview not working?

Post by swest6602 »

Problem solved. I needed a firmware update for my BD drive. Doh! LOTR is backing up to my system as we speak. Will post again if it does not go smoothly but all appears to be well. Thanks much to this who replied. Anyone thinking of upgrading to Win/8 CP can assume Make MKV is working (x64) unless I post again.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Great, thanks for sharing! I couldn't think what could possibly be causing it to fail since Windows 8 and Windows 7 seem to be very similar in many ways. I downloaded the Win 8 Consumer Preview today so hope to play around with it in the next few days and see how it goes. Don't really plan on putting it into full use like you're doing but would like to test it out and see what's new. But glad so far so good with MakeMKV on it.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
swest6602

Post by swest6602 »

As much as I hate to say this: I lied. OK it wasn't a lie, I just spoke too soon. Although it appeared to be working, MakeMKV will still not backup a BD on my x64 Windows 8 CP install. It did seem to run longer before I got the '/BDMV/STREAM/0004.m2ts is corrupt or invalid at offset 104480 (this # changes). attempting to work around' error. I thought I had resolved the issue. I admit that I am a bit obsessed with it now, but have finally walked away. :twisted: Frustrating.... Here is what I have done. Happy to accept any & all input as to other ideas to try. Per twa000 in an earlier post MakeMKV was working on the Win * Dev Preview (plus the Desktop version of Win 8 is not all that different from Win 7) so I definitely wonder if the problem is at my end.

*I have confirmed that the BD Combo drive is working:
*updated firmware,
*reinstalled Cyberlink Power DVD (UGH)
*Confirmed the disc is good by playing it via CyberLink

*I uninstalled MakeMKV with Revo Uninstaller and re-installed and re-booted the machine

*I loaded WinX Decrypter and am able to backup the disc to my harddrive in an M2TS format.

Again I am happy to try any ideas anyone may have (preferably short of going back to Win 7). Does anyone think the issue could be registration related in some way. I have a license key and it has accepted it. Are there limitations on the number of intalls or anything like that? I hate it when you do a ton of troubleshooting only to discover a silly little administrative issue.

ryanjk333- Are you going to do a virtual install or just set it up and then go back to win 7? Either way will you let me know your results if you try MakeMKV? Win 8 generally has a couple new features that are definitely helpful to those of us with Media PCs. At least they will be for me as I don't have a home server, just a bunch of external drives I use for backup. Storage Spaces and File Backup are both unbelievably simple to set-up and will make it a lot easier to keep copies of your media library. I found a new website called addictivetips.com that has some pretty good how-to's on the new Win 8 features. I am just stumbling through it all (obviously), but if you have any questions feel free to hit me up on Google + (+Sue West or plus.google.com/u/0/112794339670016272249/posts) as I suspect that this thread should stay on topic.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

This error means the drive can't read the disc. It's unlikely that your OS has anything to do with it. Either your disc is dirty/damaged/poorly manufactured or your drive is dying.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

I agree with crowfax...doesn't sound like it's OS related.

A couple of things...as far as registration of MakeMKV, I've read in the threads here that the program does not check to see if it has been registered in more than one place. It also sounds as if it is considered to be ok for one to install and register the program on as many computers that you own as you'd like with the same registration key, as long as you only run/use the program on one computer at a time. That said, I think we can definitely rule out registration issues as being the problem.

You mentioned that you backed up the disc using WinX Decrypter. You aren't trying to convert something you've already backed up to your hard drive with a product other than MakeMKV, are you? Because MakeMKV has built in decryption capabilities, and it is known to sometimes fail when working with files that were already decrypted using a different program. Use only MakeMKV for backing up your disc to your hard drive and/or converting it to an MKV file.

So you've tried multiple discs and all fail with the same error in Windows 8 even though they've converted fine in Windows 7? I just installed Windows 8 on a virtual machine, but its terribly slow that way so I may just try a fresh install in the next couple days on a spare tower or my current media center PC since that's the only thing I use that PC for and I'm dying to see if the new media center is different or better than the one in Windows 7. If I get that far, I'll certainly install MakeMKV on it and rip something and report back. Just can't promise all this in a timely fashion, as I have company over this week...sorry. :P

That's about all that comes to mind. Let me know if all that is of any help and I'll check back here again soon. I spend way too much time browsing this forum these days! I'm just a big fan of the product.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
swest6602

Post by swest6602 »

Thanks for the help.

crowfax I read elsewhere that the error I was getting meant that the drive could not read the disc. After reading that info I started working on the drive. Updated the firmware, etc... The drive may not have been/probably wasn't working properly when I started this project. It is definitely working now. I can play a Blu-Ray from the drive and I can decrypt from a disc in the drive with other programs. The only program not reading from the drive is MakeMKV so I am baffled.

ryanjk333 Good thought on the decoding after using another product but I was not trying to decode with MakeMKV after decoding with WinX. I prefer MakeMKV but when I could not get it working I tried another program to see if it would work. It did but I have not yet viewed the output files. In the past I have found nothing as reliable as MakeMKV so I may have issues We'll see. As far as 'backing up' goes, that was just terminology. In all cases I was trying to decrypt directly from the disc.

There is no change in Media Center that I can see. I have read that they changed the underlying .NET to v4 which breaks some add-ons. I have not put all my add-ons back so cannot say which ones work. If your only reason to load a fresh install of Win 8 is Media Center it isn't worth the effort at this point. You get no new benefits and will likely lose add-ons. Enjoy your company. Nice day here so I am going to get outside for the day. No more encoding for me today!

Thanks Again. Let me know your results if you do install.
swest6602

Post by swest6602 »

I finally have MakeMKV working on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Guess it was more or less user error (OK More....). Anyway I did a reinstall of the Win 8 CP and all is fine. My original upgrade was by way of the Win 8 Dev Preview (There was a bad link when it first came out. Gave me the DP ISO instead of the CP ISO.) Anyway, the Dev Preview wiped my drive completely. When upgrading to the CP all my old drivers etc were gone. I reverted back to my Windows 7 image and upgraded to Windows 8 CP again. This time my upgrade brought my system settings, drivers, etc.... I write the whole saga in case someone else upgrades to Windows 8 after a full system restore. I am not 100% sure, but think that the problem was with the Blu Ray drive drivers. The drive was working fine, but not being recognized by MakeMKV. I am still not 100% sure I will stay on the CP until fall, but at least everything is now working for me. Thanks again to those who offered assistance. Much apprecaited.

P.S. I now have the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition on my system and successfully combined Parts 1 & 2 using MKVMerge. I had not used the MKVMerge tool in the past so was pleased by how simple it was.
swest6602

Post by swest6602 »

I finally have MakeMKV working on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Guess it was more or less user error (OK More....). Anyway I did a reinstall of the Win 8 CP and all is fine. My original upgrade was by way of the Win 8 Dev Preview (There was a bad link when it first came out. Gave me the DP ISO instead of the CP ISO.) Anyway, the Dev Preview wiped my drive completely. When upgrading to the CP all my old drivers etc were gone. I reverted back to my Windows 7 image and upgraded to Windows 8 CP again. This time my upgrade brought my system settings, drivers, etc.... I write the whole saga in case someone else upgrades to Windows 8 after a full system restore. I am not 100% sure, but think that the problem was with the Blu Ray drive drivers. The drive was working fine, but not being recognized by MakeMKV. I am still not 100% sure I will stay on the CP until fall, but at least everything is now working for me. Thanks again to those who offered assistance. Much apprecaited.

P.S. I now have the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition on my system and successfully combined Parts 1 & 2 using MKVMerge. I had not used the MKVMerge tool in the past so was pleased by how simple it was.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Glad you got it figured out. I still haven't taken the time to install Windows 8 on anything more than a virtual machine, but good to hear that MakeMKV is working alright on Windows 8, though I'm sure the developer will make sure it's completely compatible when there is a more finalized version of Windows 8 that's made available.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
twa000

Post by twa000 »

I have never had a problem with Makemkv and Win 8 - but I had to do a clean install of win 8 as it wouldn't upgrade my test win7 system successfully.
Apart from that problem it is just like win7 once you have removed the metro rubbish