Three identical titles, which is the right one ?

Everything related to MakeMKV
NotMe

Three identical titles, which is the right one ?

Post by NotMe »

Hi all,

Blu-Ray : World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles
MakeMKV (1.7.2).
How can i determine which is the right title between three.
Attachments
Title3.png
Title3.png (110.99 KiB) Viewed 25219 times
Title2.png
Title2.png (110.84 KiB) Viewed 25219 times
Title1.png
Title1.png (110.8 KiB) Viewed 25219 times
Last edited by NotMe on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotMe

Re: Three identical titles, which is the right one ?

Post by NotMe »

Here are PLAYLIST and CLIPINF :
Attachments
CLIPINF.ZIP
(160 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
PLAYLIST.ZIP
(38.88 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Actually, they are not identical.

For each of the three images you've provided, look at the "Segment maps" in the righthand pane. The "segments" referred to are the .M2TS files that the highlighted "Titles" (Playlists) are comprised of...

joe42

Post by joe42 »

I'd go with the 124,125,126 one since it is first and the segment numbers are sequential.

It may not be what you want, but I'd try that one first, I'd say 80% chance it is the one you want (if you are English language).

The others may be localized differently (Japanese, etc.)
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

Actually, they are not identical.

For each of the three images you've provided, look at the "Segment maps" in the righthand pane. The "segments" referred to are the .M2TS files that the highlighted "Titles" (Playlists) are comprised of...
Yes, that's why i've provided three pictures.
But how to choose the right one... sequential numbering like joe42 said ?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I'd use BDInfo, and the database that they link to on their site to determine the correct playlist.

SC
joe42

Post by joe42 »

Unfortunately, BDInfo needs to have the copy protection removed from the disc, which takes a while if you use MakeMKV to create a disc backup without CP. Alternatively, you can have AnyDVD HD running in the background when you use BDInfo, but not every MakeMKV user is going to own AnyDVD HD.

IMO, the best bet is just to guess which one to use, and then check it to see if you got it right. I guess right most of the time, and checking it only takes a minute (just look at the beginning for production and title, then check the end credits).
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

From the BDInfo web page -
"The Blu-ray Audio and Video Specifications Thread at AVS Forum is the recommended place to share disc scans you have made with the community, to view scans made by others and to generally discuss Blu-ray specs."

Note - The use of the database does not require AnyDVD HD :wink:

However, I didn't see Battle Los Angeles (or World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles) in the database.

AnyDVD HD has a free trial period.

Just checking the beginning and the end wouldn't work for this one, since all three playlists have the same beginning and ending segments but different middle segments - 124, [125/136/137], 126.

SC
joe42

Post by joe42 »

Smithcraft wrote: Just checking the beginning and the end wouldn't work for this one, since all three playlists have the same beginning and ending segments but different middle segments - 124, [125/136/137], 126.
Not necessarily, it might still be enough. It could be that 124 and 125/136/137 are both short and near the beginning, and the bulk of the movie is contained in 126.

Sometimes the only differences between playlists are that they slightly change the "title" part of the movie (the first few minutes).
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Well, until you determine how long each segment is, you really don't know. Some playlists just have the titles and credits in foreign languages, and the playlist can be set up to seemlessly branch between different languages. The beginning is still the beginning, and the end is still the ending in all three playlists. Since you have not determined the length of the segments you won't know how long each one is, or which one is valid.

With this disc there are several possibilities.

The first is that the movie is first segment, and the last two segments are credits and filler.

The second is that the movie is one of the three middle segments with the beginning and ending segment are the titles and credits.

The third is that the movie is the third segment and the first and second segments are the titles and some filler.

All I can say is - Good Luck!

SC
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

My goodness, much ado about nothing in this instance! - with only three .MPLS choices of three .M2TS sequences of 124, xxx, 126 to check, it should be a matter of very few minutes to determine which of the three "middle"/xxx .M2TS files is the one you need.

Once you've decrypted the Full Disc (by whatever means you choose, MakeMKV or something else), Just play and CAREFULLY OBSERVE the last few seconds of 00124.M2TS and then play the beginning of 00125.M2TS and see if it "ties together" properly with the end of 00124.M2TS. If not, then play the beginning of 00136.M2TS. And if that doesn't tie-in either to the end of 00124.M2TS then, by a process of elimination, the beginning of 00137.M2TS should "tie-in" to the end of 00124.M2TS - But play the beginning of 00137.M2TS just to make sure. You can also then play and observe the last few seconds of 00137.M2TS and then the first few seconds of 00126.M2TS - they should "tie-in"

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Sure, there is that way too! :lol:

Some discs are much more complicated though, with many segments in a playlist so that method might not be as easy.

SC
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

setarip_old wrote:My goodness, much ado about nothing in this instance! - with only three .MPLS choices of three .M2TS sequences of 124, xxx, 126 to check, it should be a matter of very few minutes to determine which of the three "middle"/xxx .M2TS files is the one you need.

Once you've decrypted the Full Disc (by whatever means you choose, MakeMKV or something else), Just play and CAREFULLY OBSERVE the last few seconds of 00124.M2TS and then play the beginning of 00125.M2TS and see if it "ties together" properly with the end of 00124.M2TS. If not, then play the beginning of 00136.M2TS. And if that doesn't tie-in either to the end of 00124.M2TS then, by a process of elimination, the beginning of 00137.M2TS should "tie-in" to the end of 00124.M2TS - But play the beginning of 00137.M2TS just to make sure. You can also then play and observe the last few seconds of 00137.M2TS and then the first few seconds of 00126.M2TS - they should "tie-in"

Thanks for the tip.
Joe42 was right, the only difference is the localized title of the film.
So, for the title "World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles" it's 124,136,125
"Battle Los Angeles" is 124,125,126
"Invasion a la Tierra" is 124,137,126

Thanks to all.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Smithcraft
Some discs are much more complicated though, with many segments in a playlist so that method might not be as easy.

That's precisely why I specifically said:
My goodness, much ado about nothing in this instance! - with only three .MPLS choices of three .M2TS sequences of 124, xxx, 126 to check, it should be a matter of very few minutes to determine which of the three "middle"/xxx .M2TS files is the one you need.

As we've seen, those who generate copy protection for Blu-ray discs are capable of using many different degrees of the same type of protection - "Variations on a theme", as artists are sometimes wont to do. Therefore, many times there are different degrees of analysis required to root out and neutralize the protection.

In this instance, it was "a piece of cake" to address and locate DIRECTLY by most any user, without have to resort on outside resources...

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Which is why I said "Some discs."

SC