Is ripping blue rays tracked somehow by gov't?

Everything related to MakeMKV
hoffmanxtreme

Is ripping blue rays tracked somehow by gov't?

Post by hoffmanxtreme »

Sorry guys, I know its a dumb question(I'm new to this)....but I was just curious if there is anyway the gov't is somehow planting tracers of some sort inside movie files?

I know this sounds dumb but I honestly would not care to be ripping bluerays if there was some decent blueray software out there that didn't cost a fortune and also that wasn't absolute crap.(Such as "Cyberlink PowerDVD". - This software is a joke and doesn't even work with 1/2 my blueray collection.) Hence, why I'm using makemkv to be able to watch bluerays without hassle :)

makemkv rocks! :)
mike admin

Re: Is ripping blue rays tracked somehow by gov't?

Post by mike admin »

Well, MakeMKV is the ONLY software that works offline (without Internet connection) for all blu-ray discs. In the worst case one has to download the latest SVQ file by hand, but that's all. Other programs send your disc information to remote server that decrypts and sends disc-specific keys back. By the very nature of blu-ray encryption, remote server (and everyone who has means to listen on this communication) "knows" what disc you are decrypting.

AnyDVD requires active Internet connection for reasonably recent discs.
DvdFab always requires Internet connection.
Virtually every other blu-ray copy software (Leavo, Pavtube, Aunsoft, their name is legion) is a rip-off - they have a server where they run a single copy of AnyDVD/DvdFab/MakeMKV and send decrypted keys back. Obviously an Internet connection is required in this case.
setarip_old

Re: Is ripping blue rays tracked somehow by gov't?

Post by setarip_old »

@hoffmanxtreme

Hi!
Is ripping blue rays tracked somehow by gov't

I'd suggest to you that, in this day and age, you probably should presume that EVERYTHING you do is subject to observation by somebody or some entity...