I've had one case where subtitles (VobSub) won't come thru

Everything related to MakeMKV
SarasotaSlim

I've had one case where subtitles (VobSub) won't come thru

Post by SarasotaSlim »

I've done maybe 20 movie-DVDs now, and just one sub-title problem:

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" ('Special Edition' movie-DVD, approx 1:32 run-time)

There are 28 chapters in the first 'cell' and 2 chapters in the 2nd cell.
So, as I always do, I left the first cell (28 chapters) selected, but 'un-checked' the 2nd
cell's 2-chapters, and then told it to produce the .MKV.

Hmm...I get this 'complex multiplex' condition on this particular DVD, which I DID get on a very
small percentage of the other 15-20 DVDs that I've now run thru this 'beta' of makeMKV. But,
I THINK this is the ONLY one, that claimed to contain 'an English Sub-titles(VobSub)' track available,
yet when I tell HandBrake to capture and propate that sub-title track, thru into the final H.264
MP4-container 'file', the sub-titles do NOT come thru. (fwiw, I choose 2-pass, turbo-first-pass)

HandBrake didn't propagate them (I selected 'burn-in' and 'default' in HandBrake.) This
is under Windows-7 Home Premium (64-bit edition), using HB ver 0.9.5
makeMKV, is version 1.6.16.

[Complex multiplex encountered - 105 cells and 10985 VOBUs have to be scanned.
This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.]

To be sure of these findings, I repeated the whole experiment a 2nd time. This 2nd time, I just
displayed the output from HB, using the VLC tool, to check for presence of the sub-titles...nope, not there.

Once again, HandBrake was NOT able to propagate the English sub-titles (VobSub) thru to the '.MP4' file-container,
as evidenced by watching the final file streamed on Veetle.

(I've used HandBrake a total of at least 100 times, and until now, it has always produced the desired
English sub-titles (VobSub) burned into the video-frames, as commanded. So, I'm thinking/guessing that it
might be makeMKV's bug, rather than HandBrake's.

My thought is that maybe the 'complex multiplex' code-path is relevant to the problem!?
H.264 codec and Veetle.com are very cool. 8)
[And, so is MKV container-format.] :)
Romansh

Re: I've had one case where subtitles (VobSub) won't come th

Post by Romansh »

Please post the MediaInfo (see Google) report for MakeMKV's output.