External blu ray player needs firmware updates for MakeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Rk518

External blu ray player needs firmware updates for MakeMKV?

Post by Rk518 »

Im looking at buying this external blu ray player for my mac but there is on BIG problem. From they reviews I have read about it people say you need a firmware update to PLAY blu ray movies. I know that normal blu ray player require a firmware update from time to time to support newer blu ray movies. This external one im planning on buying has NO place to update the firmware, I looked everywhere and theres no way. The firmware that it come with is the one that I'll be stuck with and it can't be updated. The reviews have all talked about not being able to PLAY blu ray movies until the firmware is updated. The weird thing is that a few reviews have said that they have had complete success ripping the movies using MakeMKV without updating firmware. All i plan on doing is ripping the movies using MakeMKV then watching them on VLC. Now heres my real question: Is MakeMKV able to rip Blu Rays movies regardless of the firmware of the external player? For Example: Lets say I got this external player and its firmware was 1.0 but it needed 2.0 to play Pirates of the Caribbean. But if I used MakeMKV to just rip the movie would it work.
reebok

Re: External blu ray player needs firmware updates for MakeM

Post by reebok »

I may have missed it, but what player are you wanting to get?
Rk518

Post by Rk518 »

reebok wrote:I may have missed it, but what player are you wanting to get?
http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-USB-Exter ... roduct_top

It doesnt seem to have a brand and even if there was a place to update it, it seems like to update it you need windows and I cant run bootcamp on my mac.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

the tech brief says it is Matsushita (Matshita/Panasonic), the forums are not that positive especially about trying to change firmware.
Rk518

Post by Rk518 »

twa000 wrote:the tech brief says it is Matsushita (Matshita/Panasonic), the forums are not that positive especially about trying to change firmware.
Your right, I guess im going to have to find another external player. Do you know of any that are compatible with mac and are reasonably priced? Remember, I plan on only using it to rip commercial Hollywood blu-ray movies.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

I've been using an Asus SBC-06D1S-U successfully with my MBP. The drive failed in a matter of weeks after my purchase, though I was able to get it replaced under warranty. I haven't tested the replacement yet.

With my iMac, I use an LG BH10LS30 which I placed in an ICY BOX IB-550StUS2-B-BL USB2/eSATA enclosure. Despite being a desktop drive, it's hardly any faster than the Asus (I haven't bothered to patch the firmware to remove Riplock), but it's actually a bit less noisy (when placed on a wood surface).
Rk518

Post by Rk518 »

Romansh wrote:I've been using an Asus SBC-06D1S-U successfully with my MBP. The drive failed in a matter of weeks after my purchase, though I was able to get it replaced under warranty. I haven't tested the replacement yet.

With my iMac, I use an LG BH10LS30 which I placed in an ICY BOX IB-550StUS2-B-BL USB2/eSATA enclosure. Despite being a desktop drive, it's hardly any faster than the Asus (I haven't bothered to patch the firmware to remove Riplock), but it's actually a bit less noisy (when placed on a wood surface).
So the LG that you use with your imac didnt require any firmware updates. Did it work right out the box without having to install anything on your mac?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Rk518 wrote:Did it work right out the box without having to install anything on your mac?
Well, I had to install MakeMKV and the DASPI driver ;-)
Rk518

Post by Rk518 »

Romansh wrote:
Rk518 wrote:Did it work right out the box without having to install anything on your mac?
Well, I had to install MakeMKV and the DASPI driver ;-)
What's DASPI driver?
efithian

Post by efithian »

My LG WH10LS30 is installed in my MacPro. I read about the firmware upgrades, which can't be done in OSX, so I loaded the software in Parallels. Turns out it didn't need an upgrade anyway. The upgrade would be installed on the connected drive. These drives are about $80 and would fit nicely in an external enclosure. I am able to play the content off a BR disc or a rip across a gigabit network, even 5MHz wifi, so I don't really need an external at this time.

So, try it without upgrading.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Rk518 wrote:What's DASPI driver?
I gather you've never used MakeMKV?

It's just an additional driver needed to access DVD and Blu-ray drives. It comes with the MakeMKV installer.
Rk518

Post by Rk518 »

Romansh wrote:I've been using an Asus SBC-06D1S-U successfully with my MBP. The drive failed in a matter of weeks after my purchase, though I was able to get it replaced under warranty. I haven't tested the replacement yet.

So i was reading about the LG and the reviews on amazon are saying that blu ray MOVIES dont work on a mac unless you run parallels. The reviews say that to PLAY blu ray movies you need to run windows but if im just ripping with MakeMKV will it still work with say blu ray Harry Potter?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Internal-Blu-R ... ewpoints=1
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

You can't play Blu-rays under OS X (big surprise!). That's one reason to use MakeMKV.

If you couldn't rip Blu-rays under OS X, do you think they'd be a Mac version of MakeMKV?
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

The reason being simple: there just is no BD player software available on OS X. The Apple-provided DVD Player of course is not up to the task. Somewhat strangely, there are none from 3rd parties either (like AnyDVD or Total Media Theatre).
Rk518

Post by Rk518 »

Is the ICY BOX required?