Can this external player play blu rays with "Cinavia"

Everything related to MakeMKV
Rk518

Can this external player play blu rays with "Cinavia"

Post by Rk518 »

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-USB-Exter ... 094&sr=1-1

I'm planning on buying this player for my iMac but I just read the topic about Cinavia and now i'm wondering if this player will be able to play and rip movies with Cinavia. From what I read its a hardware and software thing. I didn't completely understand the the whole Cinavia thing so let me know if I'm misunderstanding it. The movies I plan on ripping with MakeMKV in the future are Pirates 4, Transformers 3, Harry Potter & the deathly hallows part 2, and hangover 2. Do you think that by the time these movie come out on Blu Ray I will be able to rip them with the player I listed and Make MKV. Do you think these movies might have some new protection that Make MKV doesn't support yet?
Romansh

Re: Can this external player play blu rays with "Cinavia"

Post by Romansh »

Cinavia is a watermark in the audio stream. It does not prevent ripping and does not require any specific Blu-ray drive.

What happens is that when playing on a device which supports Cinavia (e.g. the PS3), the player will check:

1) whether there is a Cinavia watermark in the audio track

2) whether the video being played is a trusted source (e.g. encrypted Blu-ray disc) or not (e.g. an MP4 file)

If the file has Cinavia but is NOT a trusted source, the (Cinavia-supporting) player will mute the audio (and/or stop playback) after a few minutes.

The easiest workaround to Cinavia is to play the file on a player that doesn't support it (as of today, just about anything except Blu-ray players).