3D Backups?

Everything related to MakeMKV
meatbiscuit

3D Backups?

Post by meatbiscuit »

I realize this topic has probably been covered, however, I can't find it and I can't use the board's search function because it refuses to search for the term "3D" since it's less than 4 letters.

That said, can anyone confirm that makemkv WILL indeed create a 3D .mkv backup of a 3D Blu-Ray? (I assume it would create an .mkv file with the SSIF directory?) Does anything special need to be done?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
reebok

Re: 3D Backups?

Post by reebok »

here is some info:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3462

also, I usually put in something like "3d bluray makemkv" in google. you can also go to advanced search under google and specify makemkv.com (or anything else) as the only site you want to search. comes in handy.
meatbiscuit

Post by meatbiscuit »

Cool -- thanks.

Although, it doesn't sound (from what I'm reading at least) like MakeMKV can create a 3D MKV from a 3D Blu-Ray. Looks like dvdfab is the only company with the capability.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

meatbiscuit wrote:Cool -- thanks.

Although, it doesn't sound (from what I'm reading at least) like MakeMKV can create a 3D MKV from a 3D Blu-Ray. Looks like dvdfab is the only company with the capability.
What is 3D mkv and how are you going to play it ( with what player) ?
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

mike admin wrote:

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html#3D
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

trondmm wrote:
mike admin wrote:

You do realize that it's not the way 3D video is stored on a blu-ray disc, right? As far as I know, there is no player that can play MVC video from MKV container.

MakeMKV can decrypt original M2TS/SSIF in full disc backup mode.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

mike admin wrote:
trondmm wrote:
mike admin wrote:What is 3D mkv and how are you going to play it ( with what player) ?
You do realize that it's not the way 3D video is stored on a blu-ray disc, right?

Of course not ;)

I was kinda hoping that one of the 14 stereo modes would be the one BD used. I knew it wasn't side-by-side, top-bottom or anaglyph, of course, but I hoped any of the remaining were relevant. They changed the meaning of the StereoMode flag very recently, and certainly after 3D BD appeared, so it's disappointing that they didn't add a flag for Blu-ray's 3D standard.
mike admin wrote:As far as I know, there is no player that can play MVC video from MKV container.
That, in itself, is in my opinion not a good reason. Sure it's a bit silly to create files that noe players can play, but why would anyone create a player that plays files that doesn't exist? Someone has to take the first step. Of course, in this particular case, if it's not even possible to flag the video as MVC in MKV, then there's nothing you can do. I just hope you'll consider supporting 3D MKVs as soon as matroska amends their spec.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

trondmm wrote:
mike admin wrote:As far as I know, there is no player that can play MVC video from MKV container.
That, in itself, is in my opinion not a good reason. Sure it's a bit silly to create files that noe players can play, but why would anyone create a player that plays files that doesn't exist? Someone has to take the first step. Of course, in this particular case, if it's not even possible to flag the video as MVC in MKV, then there's nothing you can do. I just hope you'll consider supporting 3D MKVs as soon as matroska amends their spec.
I know very well what you're talking about. Two years ago we decided that it's time for PGS subtitles - MakeMKV defined how to store PGS subtitles in MKV file, we donated code to mkvtoolnix and eac3to and now pretty much any player can handle PGS subtitles in MKV. But our another initiative - to store VC-1 video as raw elementary stream was ignored by community.

Anyway, before MVC video in MKV would become the reality, players should be able to play MVC from SSIF first, and even this is not happening yet.

Obviously it will happen some time in future.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin

Hi!
Anyway, before MVC video in MKV would become the reality, players should be able to play MVC from SSIF first, and even this is not happening yet. Obviously it will happen some time in future.
I believe that "Stereoscopic Player" v.1.72 and newer presently has this capability - so perhaps "the future is now" ;>}

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin

Further to my observation regarding the ability of "Stereoscopic Player" to play 3D from SSIF files (and from 3D MKVs), perhaps you could modify MakeMKV's SSIF output so that they are the same apparent size and format as those found on original, commercial 3D Blu-ray discs (rather than the minimalistic ".MAP" files presently generated by MakeMKV) - so that "Stereoscopic Player", as well as any other players that eventually get on the bandwagon, can play such backup copies and MKVs...

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

It has been possible to play 3D MKVs for some time with an "under the TV" player:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... ?tid=50743

In that thread I see references to DVDFab and MKVMerge. Are we saying MakeMKV cannot create the correct format files?
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

MikeMcr wrote:Are we saying MakeMKV cannot create the correct format files?
Yes.

But more importantly, that MKV does not support the 3D-format that's stored on a Blu-ray disc. So to create a mk3d file today, you must convert it from its native format to something else. This isn't a big deal when people pirate movies, since they tend to recompress the video anyway. However, one of the most fundamental principles of MakeMKV is that video and audio must not be changed at all. So, without support for this format in mkv, there's simply no way MakeMKV can create compliant 3d-mkv files.