Why so much slower than making ISO

Everything related to MakeMKV
Harry L

Why so much slower than making ISO

Post by Harry L »

I been ripping for a long time but mostly to ISO. I tried MKV files in years past but for different reasons ended up just making ISO. I bitstream HD audio and use a Pioneer BDR-205 which isn't rip locked. I notice there has been different topics in the forum about ripping speeds, but it appear to mostly be with certain versions.

DVDfab has a problem with DTS-HD audio when bitstreaming so I been using MakeMKV. But why is it so much slower than making ISO? I know some disc's simply rip faster and all that stuff. I get different speeds with everything I've tried over the years.

But as a example, the movie "Just go with it" took 46 minutes with MakeMKV. But I can rip it with with DVDfab and Imgburn to a ISO in 24 minutes. Its about 19 mins if only to folders. True Grit was the same way. Makemkv will rip better with some disc's but I think its mostly just because they are smaller in size.

It usually will get up to about 15MB's after starting around 12, the get stuck there at maybe 3.5x and once and awhile get to 4x, but then quickly starts slowing back down to around 3x or less.

But Imgburn or DvdFab ripping the same disc will go pass 5x and takes about half the time. I know rip speed varies but MakeMkv appears to be on the slow side verses what I'm using for ISO. Just wondering if that is normal.
Last edited by Harry L on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setarip_old

Re: Why so much slower than making ISO

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
They are rentals and want to send back next day.
Discussion of anything to do with media you don't own is not acceptable at the MakeMKV forums...

Harry L

Post by Harry L »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!
Discussion of anything to do with media you don't own is not acceptable at the MakeMKV forums...

Ok, well that part is now gone even though I'm sure it normal,but I delete after viewing anyway because not interested in keeping those types. But I own plenty of Blu-ray and the issuse is the same of course.
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

Can't say I have ever paid much attention to the difference in rip time between these various formats. The end result is what matters to me.

If you use something like PLEX as your video file delivery hub as I do, then MKV files are by far the most elegant and preferred way to archive your titles. I find ISOs or TS_Video to be a lot more clunky to deal with than just picking a title from the Plex menu and hitting play. No need for all the additional overhead and supporting files. Each movie or TV show episode is its own self contained MKV file. Just one file per title, period.

I could never go back to ISOs and Video_TS files. With close to 12TB worth of media in my collection, I can't imagine using anything else. ;)
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

The difference is an ISO is usually an exact replica of all the data on the disc in a single file, including all encryption (unless removed by something like AnyDVD), and everything else, totally ignored by the image creating software, just copied over as raw bytes. MakeMKV, however, pulls the video data out of the encryption, rips out the video, audio, and subtitle tracks you select, and then muxes them all into the MKV container. It's a much longer and detailed process, because it actually cares about the contents of the Disc.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Even then, you should get copy times comparable to copying into ISO, granted you have reasonable computer.
KYThrill

Post by KYThrill »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

Why is that? In the US, the very act of using MakeMKV to decrypt the disc is illegal. So if it is for legal reasons, wouldn't any discussion of using MakeMKV be unacceptable?
Harry L

Post by Harry L »

Well, my computer is fast enough so that's not the problem. I was trying to get away from ISO that is why I was trying MakeMKV again. But I noticed its much slower than something like DVDFab to rip just the movie out and let Imgburn create the ISO. Actually, on a long disc it's 30-50% faster than MakeMKV. That is removing encryption,taking out trailers, ect. so its not a exact copy.

But yeah, if I just use Imgburn to do a direct copy its some faster than ripping the main movie.

I noticed someone started a thread about ripping speed. Well, MakeMKV simply won't rip as fast, it rarely goes over 4x and falls back quckly when it does. Like I said before, of course it will vary but I'm talking about the average. The rip speeds I get with ISO is well over 5x most of the time. But we are talking about different ripper program.

So, I don't know why and I'm still using MakeMKV when it works ok. I had a few recent discs that it would barely copy, just way too slow and they were new. Probably something to do with encryption. But I wish it would rip fast as I can ISO with just main movie.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Harry L wrote:Actually, on a long disc it's 30-50% faster than MakeMKV. That is removing encryption,taking out trailers, ect. so its not a exact copy.
This sounds wrong. please see PM.