I was ripping, and now MakeMKV can't find any usable optical drives

Everything related to MakeMKV
CalicoSkies

I was ripping, and now MakeMKV can't find any usable optical drives

Post by CalicoSkies »

I recently bought the Friends 4K blu-ray set and have been ripping it. Many of the discs have had trouble being ripped until I cleaned them (sometimes 2 or 3 times was necessary before I was successfully able to rip the whole disc). I got to the last 4K disc and was having trouble (to the point where MakeMKV would just go back to the main screen with an empty drive icon), even after I cleaned the disc several times. Now, I have removed the disc to try again, and MakeMKV says it can't find any usable optical drives.. I'm wondering what might have happened? Could my drive be worn out? My optical drive is a LG WH16NS40, and I'm using MakeMKV v1.17.6.
MakeMKV.png
MakeMKV.png (39.65 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Woodstock

Re: I was ripping, and now MakeMKV can't find any usable optical drives

Post by Woodstock »

The drive isn't being detected when MakeMKV asks about all drives. Sometimes, the operating system takes control of the drive and won't release it; other times, it just isn't detected for some reason.

If you attach it via USB, try unplugging it and plugging it back in (best if it powers off during this time). If it's a built-in drive, you probably should power the computer down and restart it, then try again. It's also best to do this without a disk in the drive until you start MakeMKV.
CalicoSkies

Post by CalicoSkies »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:27 am
The drive isn't being detected when MakeMKV asks about all drives. Sometimes, the operating system takes control of the drive and won't release it; other times, it just isn't detected for some reason.

If you attach it via USB, try unplugging it and plugging it back in (best if it powers off during this time). If it's a built-in drive, you probably should power the computer down and restart it, then try again. It's also best to do this without a disk in the drive until you start MakeMKV.
I figured it might be something like that. It's an internal SATA drive. I rebooted my PC, and MakeMKV can see the drive again, but for some reason it seems it's unable to read this disc. It tries to read and then just goes back to the main screen with a blank drive. It does this even after I've cleaned the disc. And I'm wondering if it might be a general issue with the disc or the drive. Even without running MakeMKV, when I put the disc in, the drive seems to spend a few moments trying to read the disc, and I also hear a sort of momentary vibration at some point (also happens with MakeMKV running when it shows it's trying to read the disc).
MakeMKV-BlankDrive.png
MakeMKV-BlankDrive.png (62.58 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does it do the same thing with a DVD (different laser)?