Metadata

Everything related to MakeMKV
Simon514

Metadata

Post by Simon514 »

Hello!

Is there a program out there to add and/or change metadata on a file? I have many files from over the years that every time I re-built a library in Plex, I have to redo the metadata all over again as they didn't seem to stick (glue? I don't know how to say it in English sorry!) when I priorly already changed it with Plex (dumb a** me erased my whole library TWICE when I started using Plex and didn't quite understand how it worked, still don't most of the time!).

Also, right now I am ripping DVDs of a few series and while MakeMkv do rip them with the right disc title, Plex doesn't seem to recognize each single episodes so I have to add the metadata all manually.

Is there a program out there that I can tell, say, AbFab season 4, and boom, it automatically adds the right metadata and make it stick for eternity? I am fairly new to ripping DVDs so I would like to do it the right way. I would also like to be able to add cover/poster art

I am very used to rip CDs and dBpoweramp works wonder and offers few different options for metadata and it works great with FLAC. I know that WAV files can be tricky but I don't use them. Also DSD files don't work with every programs for glueing metadata to it. My understanding is that MKV is the FLAC for visual, open source and easy to work with and add anything to it. But alas, so far, I haven't found a program that is the equivalent of dBpoweramp or Mp3Tags for DVDs.

Again, sorry for the long message but I would like to rip a few series and they seem more tedious to do than movies and having done CDs for years, I know doing it the right way the first time around is the way to go and I am trying to find my way here.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
segfaulted

Re: Metadata

Post by segfaulted »

mkvtoolnix is the standard tool for remuxing mkv files and editing various technical metadata in mkv files. You can use it to edit a file's title, track IDs, and cover art.

Unfortunately, its gui is meant for handling individual mkv files. I don't think there's a way for the gui to automatically tag multiple files (like a season of TV shows) in a single operation.

There's a command-line tool called AutoTag which can retrieve info for TV shows and movies. I haven't used it before.

And you've mentioned mp3tag. Their website says it can handle mkv files, so it's possible it can edit metadata and cover art for your videos too.
My understanding is that MKV is the FLAC for visual, open source and easy to work with and add anything to it.
To clarify: Matroska isn't a video codec; it's a data container. The video data from blu-ray and DVD are simply repackaged into an mkv file, meaning the actual video codecs being used (h264/h265/VC-1/MVC/MPEG-2) aren't changed.
Simon514

Re: Metadata

Post by Simon514 »

segfaulted wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:54 am
mkvtoolnix is the standard tool for remuxing mkv files and editing various technical metadata in mkv files. You can use it to edit a file's title, track IDs, and cover art.

Unfortunately, its gui is meant for handling individual mkv files. I don't think there's a way for the gui to automatically tag multiple files (like a season of TV shows) in a single operation.

There's a command-line tool called AutoTag which can retrieve info for TV shows and movies. I haven't used it before.

And you've mentioned mp3tag. Their website says it can handle mkv files, so it's possible it can edit metadata and cover art for your videos too.
My understanding is that MKV is the FLAC for visual, open source and easy to work with and add anything to it.
To clarify: Matroska isn't a video codec; it's a data container. The video data from blu-ray and DVD are simply repackaged into an mkv file, meaning the actual video codecs being used (h264/h265/VC-1/MVC/MPEG-2) aren't changed.

Thank you very much for that.

I tried mkvtoolnix in the past to convert files but it wasn't the most user friendly, for me at least (It did worked though). Then again, you talk about command-line and I am lost so... I am a limited old fart after all!

I did find what I was looking for though.

https://www.filebot.net

It costed me 6$ US for a year but it works wonder, especially for TV shows! It works on movies too. I only did a few series that I had trouble with yesterday and it really was easy and fast and exactly what I was looking for.

MakeMkv is great (and free!) yet I wish something like filebot was integrated in it so it was a one stop deal. I understand ripping movies/TV shows and music is different though...

Now, I only have to find out how to add cover art and my ripping strategy will be perfect. So If I ever switch to Zidoo or Dune or whatever in the future, I won't have to do it all over again like I had to with Plex when I deleted my library by error...

Thanks again Monsieur!