Fatal error opening .mkv with DV/HDR layers

Everything related to MakeMKV
Mivemot

Fatal error opening .mkv with DV/HDR layers

Post by Mivemot »

Hi there,

I am new to the forums and couldn't find anything in the search, nor any guidelines on which forum to post my problem. If I am in the wrong place, I would appreciate any direction to the right spot!

My problem: I am trying to edit an .mkv file to remove some unwanted subtitles and audio tracks. However, for the first time ever, MakeMKV cannot open the .mkv file and gets stuck before displaying, "Fatal error occurred, program will exit now." I am now searching for an error log file but cannot find one. The debug log file only records the attempt to open the .mkv file and does not contain any error logs either, unfortunately. I've attached a MediaInfo screenshot of the video track. Could the issue be related to the DV profile? It's just a guess, as I have not encountered a file with profile 8.1 before.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks!
Last edited by Mivemot on Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
d00zah

Re: Fatal error opening .mkv with DV/HDR layers

Post by d00zah »

MKVToolNix works well for adding/removing tracks.
Mivemot

Post by Mivemot »

Am I correct in understanding that MKVToolNix maintains the same "quality" as MakeMKV, in that it doesn't re-encode files with the default preferences upon installation?
Additionally, is there a way to determine and report why MakeMKV is unable to open the .mkv, so this issue could be addressed at some point in the future?

Anyways, thank you for the tip about MKVToolNix!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MKVToolnix works on tracks within the file. It doesn't re-encode anything, normally.
Mivemot

Post by Mivemot »

Thank you very much for the tip about MKVToolNix!
It works flawlessly. I wish it were as straightforward and streamlined as MakeMKV, though. :D

Does anyone know how to get an error log from MakeMKV? I'd like to understand more precisely why it is failing to open the .mkv file.

Cheers
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

This thread (https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30672) is about a user trying to figure out corruption in their .mkv files. There's a ffmpeg command listed that was used to test the files. It might be useful here.