Region setting

Everything related to MakeMKV
nehir

Region setting

Post by nehir »

I recently purchased a DVD drive so that I wouldn't be putting wear and tear on my UHD drive with CDs and DVDs. I'm receiving the following statement in the log:

Region setting of drive ASUS:SDRW-08U9M-U does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...

I thought that region settings weren't an issue for MakeMKV. I've ripped discs from other regions before without any issues. This disc is a region 1 disc, so I really don't know why the error is occurring.

I am running this on a Mac. Any insights?
Woodstock

Re: Region setting

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV does not USE region settings, but, for some drives, it has to compensate for them.

Most drives, this is easy; some, it is not. The issue is not going past the built-in limitation on some drives to let you change the setting X times (X is usually 10) before disabling making the change. If MakeMKV can work around the settings without changing them, it's not a big deal.

For what it's worth, using a separate DVD-only drive (especially a low-profile one) does not save much wear over using the DVD-only hardware within your BD drive. The only difference is that you're using the red laser instead of the blue(ish) laser for the read.