MKV, folder structure or ISO

Everything related to MakeMKV
phileeny

MKV, folder structure or ISO

Post by phileeny »

I have been using MakeMKV for a few years, before I used DVDfab a lot but now I only use passkey now and again, when I found MakeMKV I found it to work better and as I use it a lot I bought a copy instead of the free key.
I have a lot of DVD's Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays, at first I would rip everything to MKV files and also all the extras, This was a pain to do renaming all the extras but it's what I did, after some time I found problems with Blu-rays, forced subtitles didn't always work when someone spoke alien or French etc, I then found if I ripped a film in to the folder structure forced subs would work, but then I hit another issue, with the folder structure containing a lot of files if a file got corrupted the whole film and extras wouldn't play, so now I rip to folder structure then use Imgburn to make an ISO, all good now but Kodi on an android box doesn't like ISOs, so I ended up getting a Zidoo x9 box, again all good but even the Zidoo box fails on some rips.
Long winded I know.
My question to you is what do you rip to?
What player do you use? and I know Plex doesn't like ISOs
I hope to soon find the right hardware to build my own player maybe based on libreELEC if it can do 4K HDR ISO with menus etc
Unraid media server (self confessed data hoarder)
Zidoo x9 player
65" TV
dcoke22

Re: MKV, folder structure or ISO

Post by dcoke22 »

I use .mkv files with Plex. I find that forced subtitles work well if I find the subtitle track that is the forced subtitles and set forced and default flags to true in the .mkv file.