Why does MakeMKV say that AnyDVD is enabled when AnyDVD is not running?

Everything related to MakeMKV
NickMKV

Why does MakeMKV say that AnyDVD is enabled when AnyDVD is not running?

Post by NickMKV »

I was just curious to know why I always receive this warning with MakeMKV:

The following is my workflow:

1. Buy blu-ray or UHD movie (on disc).
2. Create decrypted .iso from it as a backup using AnyDVD HD.
3. Exit AnyDVD HD by right-clicking the System Tray icon and then clicking 'Exit.'
4. Mount decrypted .iso using Virtual CloneDrive.
5. Use MakeMKV on my decrypted .iso to extract the various movie files and bonus features and put them on my home NAS.

Every time I use MakeMKV to extract videos from an already-decrypted blu-ray .iso, it gives me a warning telling me that AnyDVD is enabled and that I should disable it to prevent any errors.

The thing is, AnyDVD is not running. I'm not exactly sure what 'enabled' means in this context. I have completely closed AnyDVD and check my running processes and services in Task Manager and I'm not seeing anything related to AnyDVD or Redfox running at all, then I start MakeMKV, so I'm not sure why MakeMKV still gives me this warning. What exactly is MakeMKV checking to see if AnyDVD is 'enabled?' Is it possible that MakeMKV is somehow seeing that a Virtual CloneDrive service or driver is running, and since it's also made by RedFox, MakeMKV is wrongly assuming that AnyDVD is running? (Doubtful. I'm just thinking out loud.)

I also noticed that there is a menu option in AnyDVD named 'Enable AnyDVD.' If this is turned ON, even after exiting the application completely, is something still running or enabled in the background? I have turned it OFF and the AnyDVD icon becomes greyed out, yet MakeMKV still gives the warning as posted above.

Anyways, it's not a big deal, I always just click Yes to 'continue anyways (errors may follow),' and I've never encountered an error, but I was just curious. Does anyone know why it always tells me this?

Thanks!
bmillham

Re: Why does MakeMKV say that AnyDVD is enabled when AnyDVD is not running?

Post by bmillham »

Just curious but why are you complicating your workflow by even using AnyDVD when MakeMKV is all you need.
NickMKV

Post by NickMKV »

bmillham wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:13 pm
Just curious but why are you complicating your workflow by even using AnyDVD when MakeMKV is all you need.
Well, AnyDVD is used for making 1:1 backups that are easier to for me to deal with than to have to go into deep physical storage to find a random disc that I forgot to rip all of the bonus features or a certain audio track or something.

I'm also using AnyDVD for 1:1 .isos just in case a day comes when I'm able to and would rather just mount .isos and use the embedded menu system on the disc for choosing audio tracks and watching bonus features and things like that. That kind of stuff is lost when you're just ripping video files from a disc, putting them on a NAS, and using Plex or something. Yes, I understand that by mounting an .iso, I'd now be stuck watching FBI warnings and other time-wasting nonsense, that's a trade off I might be ok with if it means I get the menu system that is a little more movie-specific and interactive than Plex. There probably already is 4K UHD software for PCs that allow you to do that (maybe VLC even allows that at this point), I just haven't looked too deep into that as right now, I'm content with .mkv files on a NAS + Plex, but yeah, I still like to have the 1:1 backups for usability and just in case my mind changes on how I want to watch movies in the future.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

NickMKV wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:35 pm
bmillham wrote:
Well, AnyDVD is used for making 1:1 backups that are easier to for me to deal with than to have to go into deep physical storage to find a random disc that I forgot to rip all of the bonus features or a certain audio track or something.

I'm also using AnyDVD for 1:1 .isos just in case a day comes when I'm able to and would rather just mount .isos and use the embedded menu system on the disc for choosing audio tracks and watching bonus features and things like that. That kind of stuff is lost when you're just ripping video files from a disc, putting them on a NAS, and using Plex or something. Yes, I understand that by mounting an .iso, I'd now be stuck watching FBI warnings and other time-wasting nonsense, that's a trade off I might be ok with if it means I get the menu system that is a little more movie-specific and interactive than Plex. There probably already is 4K UHD software for PCs that allow you to do that (maybe VLC even allows that at this point), I just haven't looked too deep into that as right now, I'm content with .mkv files on a NAS + Plex, but yeah, I still like to have the 1:1 backups for usability and just in case my mind changes on how I want to watch movies in the future.
full folder backup keeps the menus
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:48 pm
NickMKV wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:35 pm
bmillham wrote:

full folder backup keeps the menus
full folder backup isn't "that" useful for playing with menus where java protections are involved. This is why one has AnyDVD. to play discs with full menus (and to figure out the correct playlist for obfuscated playlist releases)
jkauff

Post by jkauff »

MakeMKV starts with a cursory scan of your ISO, and if it finds an ANY! folder or a disc.inf file it assumes that AnyDVD was involved. Extract the files from the ISO (or use a tool like ISOBuster) and delete that folder and file.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Or you know... ignore it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk