WH16NS60 not working on Bluray/UHD?

Everything related to MakeMKV
thepregnantgod

WH16NS60 not working on Bluray/UHD?

Post by thepregnantgod »

I'm not sure but recently this drive stopped working on anything but DVDs.

Did I miss an update or something?

Drive Information
OS device name: Z:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: SIK94H12A232
Firmware date: 2120-05-08 10:10
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Billycar11

Re: WH16NS60 not working on Bluray/UHD?

Post by Billycar11 »

that should work, try turning off the drive for a few mins with the power switch off and see if it comes back
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
thepregnantgod

Post by thepregnantgod »

Yeah, something is funky. I was able to read UHDs previously, put in Abominable and now it only reads DVDs. So, the laser isn't broken because it can read/rip/play DVDs - doing so right now, but any Bluray or UHD the drive blinks, blinks blinks and then the Win10x64 OS says - "No disc."

Also tried with anydvd.com and dvdfab - all no luck.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

thepregnantgod wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:53 am
Yeah, something is funky. I was able to read UHDs previously, put in Abominable and now it only reads DVDs. So, the laser isn't broken because it can read/rip/play DVDs - doing so right now, but any Bluray or UHD the drive blinks, blinks blinks and then the Win10x64 OS says - "No disc."

Also tried with anydvd.com and dvdfab - all no luck.
It has 2 lasers 1 red 1 blue.i can show you if you want have a video of it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
pibbsdrive

Post by pibbsdrive »

Hi,
I just made an account to add that I've also got this problem. I did 4 UHDs in a row on Saturday with zero problems, but when I put the 5th in it failed after 3 minutes. Ever since then I can't get UHD disks to rip at all, even after leaving the drive turned off for 2 days, it just doesn't read the UHDs at all (it says 'no disc').
I've found that turning the drive off a couple of times and putting the disk in and out can get it to read blurays at least, I keep MakeMKV closed until I see the bluray show up on my desktop (when it does read the bluray it usually takes a few minutes).
The situation is very bizarre because it used to be lightning fast and ripped everything constantly and saw discs with no problems, some UHDs would have tiny scratches that we'd need to fix but other than that everything's been smooth sailing. Never had a single problem with any of our blurays. Now it's struggling with doing more than 2 blurays in a row and I have to do that power on/off eject/insert method to get it to keep going.

Specs: Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.00 KLOL14F2548d" [on Mac 12.1 and MakeMKV 1.16.5]. We did not do the firmware portion ourselves, according to my spouse we bought the drive via Alex.

We've been ripping disks on and off for about a month? I can't imagine the drive is failing. When I do get it to read the blurays it's ripping at the normal 6.4x speed that we used to get.
pibbsdrive

Post by pibbsdrive »

We reflashed the drive to 1.02 and are still having the same issues. No 4ks will rip, even ones we ripped previously. It reads the first one we put in, fails to rip it, and then when we try another it can't see a disk. Blurays are hit or miss, we can only rip 1-5 a day before it stops working, but it's crazy because when it's working it'll rip at 11x speed.

We also got this error code repeatedly while it was attempting to read in a disk that I can't find anywhere else on the internet or this board (which is bizarre): Error 'Scsi error - STATUS_05' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/01003.m2ts' at offset '196608'
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

pibbsdrive wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:12 pm
We reflashed the drive to 1.02 and are still having the same issues. No 4ks will rip, even ones we ripped previously. It reads the first one we put in, fails to rip it, and then when we try another it can't see a disk. Blurays are hit or miss, we can only rip 1-5 a day before it stops working, but it's crazy because when it's working it'll rip at 11x speed.

We also got this error code repeatedly while it was attempting to read in a disk that I can't find anywhere else on the internet or this board (which is bizarre): Error 'Scsi error - STATUS_05' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/01003.m2ts' at offset '196608'
Your down to 2 options cltake the drive apart and clean the lasers or buy a new one
pibbsdrive

Post by pibbsdrive »

We bought a new drive, flashed it, and have had no issues with BRs at all but it's only been able to rip 3 of the 25 4ks we've tried (some were ones we were able to rip previously, there's really no pattern to it). Our 4 computers we've tried it on at least see the disks the entire time, they appear in the system, which is an improvement on the old situation. But MakeMKV (even on 1.16.7) is still reporting "no disc". Sometimes it reports no disc even after reading the disk and showing us the files, sometimes in the middle of ripping it. We're just giving up on 4ks because we've tried everything and want to make it through backing up the rest of our BRs. It's too bad the drive manufacturers have made it this way for those of us who want to back up our physical media, but I'm grateful the new drive is ripping BRs consistently and that makemkv has made it so easy.